• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

New Alternator Pulley Rubs Me Wrong

picked up a new 12176N-16 Alt and installed it on the weekend. This comes with a 1/2" pulley and as installed there is a few sheet of paper gap between it and the distributor cap. When I put the #3 plug wire back on the rubber boot rubs against the pulley.

Could I solve this issue thusly:

-Set Cyl #1 at TDC
    - Set Dist rotor into proper position for plug wire #1
    - Remove Distributor from block without anything changing, rotate it about 45 deg and reinsert. As my understanding is that it does not matter what orientation it is in as long as TDC and the rotor match up, yes?

Should this not work?

Upon further pondering,( I have the Indigo Alternator adjustment and 25" belt). Could I go with a 26" 3/8 belt and raise/rotate the alternator pulley higher/above the location of the wire boot?
    Last edited by GregH; 04-17-2023, 03:35 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It does not matter where the rotor points as long as it and the #1 plug wire are aligned at #1 TDC.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• GregH
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      It does not matter where the rotor points as long as it and the #1 plug wire are aligned at #1 TDC.
      That is what I thought - excellent!
      Greg
      1975 Alberg 30
      sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

You will still need to "fine adjust" the new timing position for optimum performance. By lining up the rotor and the #1 wire will allow you to get her started to do so at the new setting.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
          You will still need to "fine adjust" the new timing position for optimum performance. By lining up the rotor and the #1 wire will allow you to get her started to do so at the new setting.

Dave Neptune
          totally! ... I remember the "fine adjustment" fun I had last year this time with the rebuild just back into the boat
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X