• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bputney
    • May 2006

Which fuel filter is best?

Hi,

You have an in-line fuel filter (FPMP_06_51) and the RACOR filter. Which is better to use, and can they be used stand-alone or should there be a secondary filter as well? Does the RACOR filter grab sand and is that emptyable?

Thanks,

Brett
    Brett Putney
    1964 Columbia Defender 29'
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Brett,

The RACOR filter is a large coffee mug sized filter which we consider to be a primary filter. The one in our catalog is a 10 micron filter which is fine enough to serve as a stand alone filter, but it is much better to install a secondary filter (like our inline filter) just before the carburetor.

The RACOR also contains a fuel/water separator, but any turbidity (certainly the size of sand) would be trapped within the replaceable filter element itself.

Don

Comment

• bputney
      • May 2006

So, you recommend the gas go through the RACOR first, then the pump, then the in-line, then the carb?

Thanks,

Brett
      Brett Putney

Comment

• randall
        • Jun 2006

Yes...

You got the correct order in your post.

I went through all the 'Miss Pin-up's' to see everyone elses version of this... and it's very consistent.

By looking at all the photos of the 'best' and cleanest engines, you can see how others set up this system. I personally switched to this just to get rid of that damn copper line from the pump to the carb! That line made R/R really tough, and now, with a glass filter, I can always see that I have fuel to the carb (although never expect it to be more than half full).

Comment

• bputney
          • May 2006

Thanks.

What's R/R, Repair? Where did you get your glass filter? I'll do the order we talked about, it just seems odd that the RACOR would go first, when you're using the inline to get the big chunks out. It would seem to be best to put the inline first to get the sand, then the RACOR, then the pump, then the carb. But, I'm new at this. Do I have their functions mixed up? I htought the RACOR was mostly for water removal.

Thanks again! I appreciate the feedback.

Brett
          Brett Putney

Comment

• randall
            • Jun 2006

Inline filter

The filter is available at most automotive stores, or online here:
            Explore JC Whitney for premium auto parts & accessories, dive into car culture, & stay updated with the latest automotive events & tech trends

R/R to me usually means 'rest and relaxation' but in this case, I meant 'repair or replace.'

Comment

Working...
            X