• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewburyportWags
    • Apr 2007

Metal Side of Seals?

Quick question...

Included with the Oberdorfer 202M pump repair kit are the instructions for disassembly and assembly. In the "Install the Impeller Seals" section of the document, it states ...

"In all pumps, the inner seal is installed with the metal side facing away from the impeller, and the outer seal with it's metal side toward the impeller."

The seals that are included in the kit are metal on both sides. They are stamped with Oberdorfer on one side, and are smooth on the other. Which side is considered the "metal side"?

Thanks.
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

The seals I installed had the word Oberdorfer stamped on the "metal side" and you could see the line where the seal had been pressed together on the side with the spring.

In the picture I link to below, the "metal side" is facing the camera for the seal I am holding in my right hand.

If it's any consolation, I ended up buying a second set of seals after I installed the first set backwards. "Tuition" is what my wife calls the money spent on the second set.

Good luck!

Mike.
    Mike

Comment

• NewburyportWags
      • Apr 2007

Phew!!

Thanks, Mike. I had a 50-50 chance on this one, and happened to guess right. I tried to recall how the old seals had looked before I removed them, but I wasn't very confident in my memory. Thanks again.

-Mark

Comment

• Don Moyer
        • Oct 2004

Install the inner seal so that you will have the name "Oberdorfer" facing you when the seal is installed. This will have the lip of the seal facing in the direction of the impeller chamber. The seal on the flange end of the housing needs to be installed in the opposite direction. The flange seal should be installed with the name "Oberdorfer" facing away from you, so that the lip of the seal faces the engine when the pump is installed.

Don

Comment

Working...
        X