• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickinnj
    • Dec 2010

Why?

So...

I rebuilt my ignition panel this week. New SW gauges and all new switches in a newly fabricated, epoxied and perfection painted panel.

[IMG]C:\Users\Rick\Pictures\panel.jpg[/IMG]

The problem... when I pull out the new ignition switch, the motor cranks without depressing the pushbutton. When I depress the pushbutton, the starter de-energizes. I can only assume that I bought a momentary-off pushbutton by mistake.

Whay would anyone make a momentary-off pushbutton anyway?!

The boat is two hours away. I double checked my wiring from notes made upon disassembly. Is my thinking wrong about the pushbutton? The packaging is mute regarding how the button works.
    Rick Bushie
    s/v Anchovy, 1971 C&C 30-1, Hull #1
    Tolchester, MD
  • rickinnj
    • Dec 2010

disregard

I looked up the switch on-line...momentary-off

Someone's a dumb-arse!
    Rick Bushie
    Tolchester, MD

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Switch

Rick (?), nice job of diagnosing though. We use those switches for spinning up grinding wheels to speed to save belts at work.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• BryanLee
        • Jun 2008

Why would anyone make a momentary-off pushbutton anyway?!
        FWIW.. I know people will use a momentary off switch on boats for over riding the alarm buzzer for oil pressure so the alarm is not ringing while starting the engine, once the engine starts, you just release the button and can not accidentally leave the alarm off. Momentary offs are used for things like fridge door lights, car door open sensors, etc. too. To bad you got the wrong one, I have done that on other applications multiple times

Comment

• rickinnj
          • Dec 2010

Bryan,

I was sorta being sarcastic! Just tryin' to sluff the blame off on someone else like any self respecting twelve-year-old.

Waiting for a new, proper switch in the mail.

Thanx
          Rick Bushie
          Tolchester, MD

Comment

• BryanLee
            • Jun 2008

lol I meant, um... ya who would want a momentary off switch! That's ludicrous! They must have sent you a defective one, totally their fault! Craziness

Comment

Working...
            X