• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Plasma ignition?

Does anyone on the forum have experience with plasma or corona ignition?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Not really any real experience other than I did look at the "plasma" stuff. It is not much more than a really really hot coil. Looked at them for my "Hemi" when a coil quit. There is really little to gain until you are making well over 100hp per litre.

I've read about the plasma type. It is really different in that it does not produce a spark. Instead it is a hi-energy radiating beam that can produce a much more voluminous ignition area which allows much leaner full combustion. Neat stuff.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I vaguely remember it being some kind of silly marketing scheme. All ignition is "plasma" in the sense the arc between electrodes could be called that
      I am trying the XR3000 ignition via Indigo as soon as I get it here. That should be about as "plasma" as an A4 gets.
      Did you mean the old silly marketing scheme or this new one:
      A California startup has developed an ignition system that uses nanosecond pulsed plasma to significantly increase fuel economy and reduce emissions.

My BS detector is going off at a pretty good rate on that one too. MSD has been doing this for a very long time - MULTI SPARK DISCHARGE - and the idea of running lean of stoichiometric is also a very old idea. Charles Lindbergh did it and used to teach it to our WW II fighter pilots in the Pacific. Plus there is the old darned physics and math where it takes X volts to jump Y inches. I am pretty sure they got onto this idea from this company, https://gami.com/gamijectors/gamijectors.php. I also doubt this has anything to offer we aren't already seeing with HPDI engines and Mazda SkyActive.
      Last edited by joe_db; 06-07-2020, 04:23 PM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
      X