X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Traverse Foster
    • Jul 2007

Motor quit firing & oil and water in bilge

I have a 29 Ericson with the atomic 4 gas engine. The engine currently will not start. It has been approximately one year since we had it running. To get it started I used a combination of starter spray and adjustments to the carburator to get the engine to turn over. It took at least 2 hours with the aid of a friend. I took the boat out and ran the engine for approximately an 1hour to 1.5 hours. Back at the dock the engine did not want to start again. After repeated attempts the engine would not start. The motor sounded as if it were spinning faster but not firing. I left it at that. I was not able to return to work on the boat for another full year. At that time I found water in the bilge area mixed with oil. I decided to drain the gas from the tank, believing it to have gone bad and pumped the oil and water out of the bilge. All was taken to a recycling center for disposal. While I was draining the fuel tank i was leaning on the engine and caused a fitting that had corroded to brake off that appears to be part of the cooling system. I will need to replace the fitting. What might be the cause of the oil and water in the bilge and any suggestions on the engine not starting? I love my boat and want to get her running again!!!
  • bayareadave
    • May 2006

Traverse : Since you were gone for a full year you cannot link water in the bilge to an engine issue. Water in the bilge is very common and can seep in from leaks in the decking during the rain.

The source of oil in the bilge is undoubtedly the engine. Again, I would not associate this with the starting problem, since it can be a simple leak. Did you check the bilge before you left the boat last? If not, perhaps water leaks in past the stuffing box, or out of the exhaust. That, combined with a leak in the engine could have washed it down into the bilge.

Just take it one step at a time. The good news is that the engine ran, so maybe you only need tuneup items. Replace the water fitting you broke off. While you are down there, look for other corroded engine items - you have to take care of the engine.

Then, tune up the ignition system - the easiest thing to tune up, and the most likely cause of the problem. Plugs. Points (at least check and clean them). Clean or replace the wires. Put Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase and the gas. Try to start it. Diagnose from there.
    -Dave Whaley
    Pleasant Hill, CA

Comment

• rpn59
      • Jul 2007

?

T.F.,

Did you check the oil level in the engine,dip stick? And, if your cooling system is fresh water, check the water level in the heat exchanger.
      Ray N.

Comment

Working...
      X