• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomG
    Afourian MVP Emeritus
    • Nov 2010

Anybody know what this is?

I was able to spend a few precious hours on the boat today working on the new MMI stainless steel standpipe exhaust system (which is going to be fantastic, BTW) and tracing out the electrical system. My boat, a Tartan-30, has the A-4 just behind the mast offset to port and very low in the boat. I have the typical rats-nest of wiring from 30-odd years of use and many of the circuits I've been able to chase down. One of the circuits that has me puzzled is this one:

It's the white square 8-pin connector in the middle of the picture. I'm thinking it might be the original lighting circuit for the mast lights, but I'm not sure.

Any ideas?
    Tom
    "Patina"
    1977 Tartan 30
    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Eight pins seems like an awful lot for mast lighting. Here's a picture of the corroded 8 pin engine harness plug I removed this past week. Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel progress 003.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	190374
    Any chance your plug is from an old engine harness? Where do the wires go? What are the attached wire gauges and colors?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• TomG
      Afourian MVP Emeritus
      • Nov 2010

Neil,

My boat had a new/rebuilt Moyer A-4 installed a 3 years ago under the previous owner. I was also thinking that it could be an old engine wiring harness, but it seems odd that when the new engine was installed the old wiring harness would not be used. Like most wiring on my boat, the end disappears into the "great unknown" under the port settee.
      Tom
      "Patina"
      1977 Tartan 30
      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

CSI - Tartan

I dunno, your mystery plug is 8 pins, my old engine harness plug is 8 pins, typical mast lighting would be 6 pins at most (anchor, steaming, deck lights, if they all had their own ground), a mast lighting plug would likely have smaller pins than yours.

Wire gauges and colors could be a huge clue. 10 gauge red-orange-black, 14 gauge white, 16 gauge purple-blue-tan-gray should pretty much guarantee it's an old abandoned engine harness.
        Last edited by ndutton; 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Laker
          • Sep 2010

Looks a bit like the harness on my Boss snow plow , but I doubt that's it.

Laker
          1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• msmith10
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

It could be for wind speed/direction. I think mine uses 7 or 8 conductors.
            Mark Smith
            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

It looks like the 8-pin connector for the A-4 dash panel.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X