• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robshepherd
    • Sep 2012

Quick note of thanks to forum members

Hello All,

Just wanted to post a short note of thanks to the forum members who have helped me out with my A4 issues. I've learned so much here not only troubleshooting my own motor, but also by reading other threads too.

I sailed on a friend's boat off and on for 6 years or so, and his A4 was very unreliable, to put it kindly. He also didn't take much interest in maintaining it, and eventually sold his perfectly good Yankee 30 with a dead motor.

When I bought my own Yankee 30, I was nervous about the A4. But I didn't want to have my friend's experience, and didn't want to pay a mechanic to do something I should be able to do myself with some education. About 4 years into this and I have no regrets AND it's empowering to know I can fix just about anything on this motor. There's always more to learn, but the curve just isn't as steep as it once was. As far as I can tell from the P.O's log book, this motor has about 1500 hours on it. Less than 1800 for sure. I expect I can keep her going for a long time to come (with some help along the way from you all!)

Thank you, and fair winds!

Regards, Rob
    Last edited by robshepherd; 07-18-2013, 11:45 PM.
    Rob Shepherd
    1973 Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 30 MKIII
    sigpic
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

Rob,
    Thanks for the words of thanks. That's why we're here. I rather envy you sailing out of Bellingham - the San Juan islands are beautiful. We were out there a couple of years ago to visit a friend on Orcas. Definitely a nice part of the world.
    The Yankee 30 is a fine boat - a skinny Tartan 30 - with the same upholstered comfort in your 'engine room'. Gotta love it!
    To keep your engine happy and healthy for the long term, please consider fresh water cooling - if you don't already have it. I've added the Moyer system to my Tartan 30, including the Moyer water pump, and have no regrets.
    Best wishes, and stay off the rocks..

Comment

• robshepherd
      • Sep 2012

Fresh water cooled, indeed

Thanks, Al

Yes, she's been FWC since the beginning. If you're out this way again send a note and we can go for a sail.

It's a beautiful area, but everywhere is a lee shore and you're not kidding about rocks. It keeps your sailing skills sharp. Even the Washington State Ferry system has put one on the rocks a couple of times.

Today I saw a gentleman at the local chandlery wearing a t-shirt with a definition of the word "chart". It said "shows the location of the rock you just hit".

That gave me a good chuckle! -Rob
      Rob Shepherd
      1973 Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 30 MKIII
      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Rob,
        Thanks for the invite - I'd enjoy that!
        Maine has the same problem with rocks - I've left a few pounds of my boat up there. Wham - oh yeah, there's an asterisk on the chart here...
        A friend from our club had his C&C30 trucked to Bellingham & launched. John Baird, red hull. He flew out, jumped aboard, & sailed around Vancouver island - spent a month. Single handed. Then had the boat trucked back to CT. Some beautiful sailing out there.
        We should probably move this off the A4 site - pls reply by PM.

Comment

Working...
        X