• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capt mark
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2007

Air in fuel line?

Each time I start the engine if it has sat for a week or more I have to prime the engine. It seems as if air is getting in the fuel line and I can only eliminate it by removing the fuel line from the carburetor and squeezing the fuel priming ball until fuel comes out. My fuel line runs from my tank to a racor filter to a priming ball to a facet fuel pump to an inline filter to the carb. I cannot push fuel to the carb. by squeezing the priming ball with the fuel line attached. It acts as if air is trapped in front of it and can't escape. Any ideas? Thanks.
  • Marian Claire
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2007

On the MC it is tank, primer bulb, large filter, facet pump, polishing filter and carb. I think with air in the line or filter the primmer can not easily over come the needle valve in the carb. With a system full of fuel it is possible to force fuel thru the needle valve. I know from experience, flooded carb and all. What is the highest point in your system? Some times cranking down on old hose connections does not stop the air leak. I have had to cut and reattach the hose for a good seal. I would move the bulb and check all the connections. With the bulb after the tank I fell you are more likely to be pushing air out instead of trying to suck it out. WARNING: I may get banded from the forum for this suggestion. It involves temporarily placing a non approved clear filter just before the carb. But you can sure SEE the flow and how much air is entering. It has helped me diagnose fuel system problems. I just went thru this after she sat for about two months. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• capt mark
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jan 2007

I will try moving the primer ball between the tank and racor and see if that helps. The tank is by far the highest part of the fuel system. It almost seems as if a vacuum is created pulling air from the carb back toward the tank. I will also try placing a clear filter next to the carb to monitor the system (however temporarily, I understand the danger of this and I will not tell anyone it was your idea ). Can someone explain why it matters which is the highest point of the fuel system?

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

More questions and one answer: I asked about the high spot because on the MC it is the large filter and that is the first place I “bleed”. Air should go to the highest point if it can. Is the entire tank highest or just the top? We need to consider the level of the fuel itself. Do you have a cutoff valve and where is it? Any low spots, dips in the lines? Seems to me if you leave the fuel system full of fuel and come back and it is full of air there must be a slow leak or it is all siphoning back to the tank. Any gas smell when you first get aboard? Check all connections. If old and funky get a new line. On other posts there have been air leaks from pin holes in the filter to hairline cracks in the hose barbs. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

Working...
        X