• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdubose11
    • Jul 2013

exhaust backpressure kit install question

When installing the kit (specifically the exhaust spacer), is it necessary
    to install it on the hot section side of the manifold or can it be installed on
    the end away from the hot section?
    It would be a much easier install if it turns out the pressure is uniform throughout
    the system...
    James
    C-30 Peregrine
  • BunnyPlanet169
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • May 2010

Flange not coupling

Welcome to the forum!

In theory, it needs to be placed be before any potential restriction you want to measure, usually the effects of a water lift muffler. So if you know that the hot section is clear, the end of the hot section would work.

In practice, it's a flange, not a coupling, and is only threaded FNPT from one direction. That means it's designed to go directly off the exhaust manifold, and have the hot section thread in.

Edit: Ooops. Do you have a manifold with flanges at both ends? That should work, I would think.
    Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM.
    Jeff

sigpic
    S/V Bunny Planet
    1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• jdubose11
      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by BunnyPlanet169 View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

In theory, it needs to be placed be before any potential restriction you want to measure, usually the effects of a water lift muffler. So if you know that the hot section is clear, the end of the hot section would work.

In practice, it's a flange, not a coupling, and is only threaded FNPT from one direction. That means it's designed to go directly off the exhaust manifold, and have the hot section thread in.

Edit: Ooops. Do you have a manifold with flanges at both ends? That should work, I would think.
      Thanks. I've been a lurker for a while though!

My manifold has the hot section attached at one and and a blank plate blocking the other.
      I was wondering (hoping!) that I could install the flange opposite the hot section and get reliable backpressure readings.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Per instructions only!

The restriction is where the water injects 99% of the time. If it is further down stream the kit will still show the back pressure and you will still need to find it.

IE do not mount down stream of the water injection!!!

As a matter of fact I just ordered a bunch of pipe for my hot section this morning. The restriction is at the injection point too.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
        X