X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fstued
    • Jan 2014

Engine stalls

I have new rebuilt engine that seems to run fine Except it stalls at the most inopportune time. I'll start it in my slip let it warm up for 5 min or so and then back out. As soon as I get square with my fairway and shift in to forward it stalls. This happens about all the time. It starts right back up usually but it is nerve racking with all the out board motors and anchors hanging off boats it scares the hell out of me. Anybody have a clue. I am thinking maybe mixture a little rich? I'll take any suggestion I can get
    Thanks

Stu
  • alcodiesel
    • Oct 2015

Mine did that so I adjusted the idle mixture and jacked up the idle speed a little. Never did it again.
    Bill McLean
    '76 Ericson 27
    :valhalla:
    Norfolk, VA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Here's a few questions that will help to understand the problem better.
      When you restart the engine when it is warmed up how much choke do you use?
      Is the choke opening all the way? A dirty back flame arrestor can also result in rich running.
      Can you change the idle by adjusting the idle mixture needle or the idle speed control screw on the carb?
      What so the spark plugs look like? Rich mixture?
      It's rather interesting that too rich and too lean will result in similar symptoms.
      Try speeding the engine in neutral a bit before you shift into gear. If you are indeed running rich this will "unload" the excess fuel and he engine will not die when you shift into gear.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Fstued
        • Jan 2014

Getting some good responses Thanks to all who have offered advice. The boats on the hard now but will be back in the water today so I will adjust the idle and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
        X