• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregH
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2015

Mechanical Fuel Pump

I've read on posts and searches about how to tell when fuel pump is leaking or not pushing/pulling its weight , ... otherwise, do people use a time frame or some other criteria besides failure for a general replacement kit job?

On the engine I have, the pump works fine, but I have no idea the age of gaskets, etc. Is it a case of "what works don't fix" or replace for peace of mind?
    Greg
    1975 Alberg 30
    sigpic
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Since I had no idea, I rebuilt mine over the winter a couple seasons after I got the boat...but it was low on the priority list.

The way you tell is that if the diaphragm is compromised, it leaks fuel into the crankcase, so if your oil smells like fuel, it might be a failing pump. This is by design so fuel doesn't otherwise get into the bilge and become an explosion hazard.

The way I'd tell if it is pulling its weight is to put a $15 pressure gauge in line, just before the carb.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

I would also watch out for small black specs showing up downstream in the fuel / carb. On my boat that was the fuel pump diaphram beginning to slowly disintegrate.
      Mike

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

I'll throw in another voice for the pressure gauge at the carb inlet. If it indicates pressure, you have fuel. If not, continue diagnostics elsewhere.

Comment

• GregH
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2015

In hindsight it was kind of a silly question, I have all the pressure gauge/polishing filter parts ready to go for the spring. And if the diaphragm isn't working, the gauge will tell me .. D'oh!

Thanks for the reminder !
          Greg
          1975 Alberg 30
          sigpic

Comment

• gregsails
            • Sep 2013

It is so simple to rebuild, I don't know why you wouldn't just do it. Better now, than on a sunny afternoon when your enjoying yourself

Comment

• GregH
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2015

It's been added to my list for spring and my ever growing Moyer order list.
              Greg
              1975 Alberg 30
              sigpic

Comment

• HOTFLASH
                • Oct 2004

Fuel pump rebuild

Even I (am no mechanic) could successfully do the rebuild. The instructions were great.

Mary

Comment

Working...
                X