X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Altered Boy
    • Nov 2008

Weak Fuel pump?

I am suspect that i may have a weak fuel pump? Runs fine with out the factory pump filter. It was this way when i bought it. I disovered it after several hours of use. So I instaled a remote mount spin on fillter (found on the boat) used new filter. Would not start after this. Bypasted the fillter it runs agin. Tryed severl inline fillters all same story. Does this sound right or is there somr thing i am missing.
  • kentk
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2007

weak fuel pump?

i don't know the answer but i think it's a good question, and i hope someone can answer it. i assume you mean electric. on my boat it clicks rapidly for a few seconds, then slows some but continues pretty rapidly after that- about 3 times a second. i have an old car that clicks rapidly for several seconds, then not at all- and by all this i mean before i turn their starters over.
    i did buy a (cheap) fuel pressure gauge at harbor freight but haven't had a chance to try it . i don't remember if the MM manual states what the pressure should be- i left the manual on my boat-
    thanks, kent

Comment

• kentk
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jul 2007

weak fuel pump?

ps- i do notice that catalog pumps seem to be 2-4 psi-

Comment

• s/v Dearbhail
        • Nov 2008

Is it possible the fuel pump is working it just takes quite a bit to refill each of these filters that have been tried with fuel. If there is a primer bulb in the system that should pull the air out, refil the filter and fuel line and put fuel to the fuel pump. I've read that recently here.
        Mark
        1970, Northwind 29, #5

Comment

• adab1402
          • Mar 2007

fuel pump pressure

you have several options .have a friend help or get a remote starter switch ,disconnect the fuel line to the carb watch out for sparks and secure the open fuel line to a quart container ,time 15seconds and see how much fuel comes out . option 2 buy a fuel pressure gauge put it inline start her up and see what she reads . or conversely just suck it up and install a new pump . fair winds adb1402 ps be careful of fumes ,they can go boom .

Comment

Working...
          X