X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Loki9, if they get it right...or rather..correct, the offset of the engine will offset the direction the propwash wants to turn the boat and she'll track straight.

If I let go of my tiller the boat is hard over to port in a matter of seconds!

Most modern Sabre's have an even more 'crooked' engine placement..it is so crooked you can see the prop on the port side near the stern.

My guess is that it is sitting there to maximize interior room...if it was directly behind the mast, you'd have to step over it all the time.

When they re-designed the Tartan 30 into the Tartan 3000 in the early 80's (my step-father owns hull #28), they moved the engine under the steps (and sadly, ditched the A4 for the terribly noisy and anemic 2-cyl Universal M-15 diesel)..I would also guess they moved the keel ever so slightly forward to offset the engine placement & keep the boat balanced, but I don't know that for sure.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• gdasw
      • Aug 2007

Jeff, I also have a Tartan 30 with an A4 and concur with the comments on both the boat and the A4. Access to the engine is great and with the engine in the center of the boat there is a lot of space available under the cockpit. Also agree on the comments on the exhaust. I had a waterlift when I got the boat and had some issues with some water getting back into the engine. I changed to a standpipe arrangement and I have not had that problem. The Tartan 30 is really nice to sail and is great for a couple to cruise in. We race it as well.

Best of Luck.
      Geoff

Comment

• audiobasket
        • Oct 2011

Thanks Guys.

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to reply. You have given me plenty of info to get started. I'm taking my own guy to the marina with me. I already talked to the folk there and i can not afford there hourly rate. i putting so pictures of the hull of the 74 Tartan which is the boat I'm going with.
        Attached Files

Comment

• smosher
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

Nothing obvious, try wiggleing the prop shaft and rudder and see if there's any play.

Steve

Comment

• Administrator
            MMI Webmaster
            • Oct 2004

I'm taking my own guy to the marina with me.
            Suggest you be discrete. They will likely not be pleased if you bring an outsider in to work on your boat. To say the least...

Bill

Comment

• TomG
              Afourian MVP Emeritus
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
              Suggest you be discrete. They will likely not be pleased if you bring an outsider in to work on your boat. To say the least...

Bill
              Jeff, this is a very sound suggestion.
              Tom
              "Patina"
              1977 Tartan 30
              Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• ILikeRust
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

I know at Deltaville Boatyard, at least, one of the "boatyard rules" they give you when you sign up for storage there is that you can work on your own boat all you want, but no outside mechanics or contractors, without their express approval.
                - Bill T.
                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• edwardc
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Aug 2009

Ours allows outside contractors, but requires a checkin to verify insurance coverage.
                  @(^.^)@ Ed
                  1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                  with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

As Ed noted, some places allow outside contractors, provided they have insurance verification (as does the local yard where I haul). If you are just going to "kick the jackstands" of a few boats, I'd just call him my "buddy" for the day. After you own the boat and need to get work done, obviously following the yard's rules to avoid trouble or liability issues would be the prudent thing to do.

At least it looks like most of the paint is off the Tartan already..less work to get to a good surface for new bottom paint.
                    Last edited by sastanley; 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X