X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poqbill
    • Jul 2020

Engine quits

Engine running well and quits, apparently loss of fuel. Applied primer bulb and restarted, ran a few minutes and quit. Applied primer bulb several times and kept engine running till reached my boat slip. Did not apply primer bulb once in the slip and engine quit. Two days later started engine and ran it for one hour at various rpms and both in gear and in neutral. Engine ran fine!! So what's up? Thought it was maybe fuel pump, but the above full hour of running seems to question that. I have a late model A4 in a Morgan 34 sailboat.
  • Ando
    • Jul 2019

Some questions to get a better diagnosis: Electric or mechanical fuel pump? Was the boat rocking around while under way? What’s the condition of the carb?

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Primer bulbs for inboards are taboo. They're for outboards.
      Strongly recommend adding a pressure gauge to the carb inlet. Then there's no question whether or not you have fuel to the carb. No pressure? Fix or replace the pump.
      Intermittent problems like you describe are tough. My experience is that they're usually electrical.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

What Al said.
        Please describe your fuel system and please discard the primer bulb once things are working again.
        I have had them leak air into the system, leak fuel out of the system, and split open and squirt fuel all over me They are NOT safe for inboards!
        Also do get a fuel pressure gauge. It will pay for itself very quickly
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Sam
          Afourian MVP
          • Apr 2010

I still have my early model A4 in my Morgan 34 with an electric Facet fuel pump - you have plenty of room for wall mount across the from carb below tank. You need to determine if this is a fuel issue or spark problem. Check for spark at the cylinders - direct or indirect methods. My guess with very limited info this is a fuel pump/opss issue. Others have given you good advise .

Comment

Working...
          X