X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwh2319
    • Jul 2020

Do I need to prime a Moyer water pump?

Putting in a new Moyer impeller in an old Moyer water pump. Do I need to prime the water pump? If so how do I do that?
    Thanks,
    Mark
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Attach a hose to the pump inlet. Put some water in a paper cup and pinch to form a spout and pour the water down the hose till full. Turn the engine a few times to get the air out of the pump then repeat.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Should prime itself. Centrifugal pumps need priming.
      I like to lube the new impeller with silicone grease (Dow Corning #111).

Comment

• Sam
        Afourian MVP
        • Apr 2010

Agree with John and Al. I would also add a little grease - lithium or silicone etc to shaft when carefully inserting shaft back in through the bushings. I remove the impeller / shaft at the end of every season for winter layup and store the shaft w/ a film of oil. I also suggest taking a file and beveling the shaft slightly to make passage through the bushings easier and prevent damage. [ With the shaft out you can check that the grease fitting/cap works if so equipped]. This may seem a little overkill but in 45 seasons I have only needed to change water pumps once from the original small Schafer pump on my early model A4. The impellers are changed every 3-4 seasons as a preventative measure [old ones have been used in a neighbors engine in a pinch]

Comment

Working...
        X