X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JTG1160
    • Jul 2019

Atomic 4's Not Allowed By Marinas

I was on the waitlist to get into a marina but the owner is informing me that due to an abundance of safety caution he does not accept boats with inboard gasoline engines (sail or power). Wonder how many other folks have run into this?
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Interesting. I wonder how the marina owner reconciles this policy with the very common propane cooking fuel used on boats. It is comparable to gasoline with fumes that are heavier than air which can therefore collect in a bilge, only slightly less explosive force when ignited and unlike gasoline, stored under pressure.

Even if I had a diesel powered boat I don't think I'd want to be a tenant in a marina with this kind of ownership.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

never heard of such rule in a marina...
      I guess that marina ownership is just like any other category that involves humans... stupidity is everywhere
      Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by JTG1160 View Post
        I was on the waitlist to get into a marina but the owner is informing me that due to an abundance of safety caution he does not accept boats with inboard gasoline engines (sail or power). Wonder how many other folks have run into this?
        I have never ever heard of this. The vast majority of boats in the USA are gasoline powered.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JTG1160 View Post
          I wonder what fuel those diesel boats use for their dinghy engines, and where and how they store it.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

What marina is this? Name and shame, man. Inboard diesels are quite rare on powerboats below, what, about 32'?

Comment

Working...
            X