• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Originally posted by 2dogsnight View Post
    Joe,
    I am still testing the whole set up, including alternator. Yesterday I was cruising at 1000rpm and was getting charge 13.5V.
    Motor was pretty hot......how hot? ....will be checking that today. Stuffing box is not letting one drip of water trough - will be looking into that today too. So lots more to do. BTW, I wouldn't know what to look for as far as regulator - all I know that there is one inside
    The 10si series have internal regulators. You can get them in various voltages. They are pretty cheap too, in the $15-$30 range. 13.5 is a tiny bit low, you want to see 13.8 at least, but that may be all you get at 1,000 RPMs. If you get a chance, rev up to 2,000 or so and see if you get more voltage. The only time I am at 1,000 is in a marina, cruise RPMs for me are in the 1800-2300 range.
    Re the engine heat, with the thermostat out and the bypass plugged you should be able to run about 120-130 degrees. If you cannot do that, something needs fixing. I had an engine once that needed a vinegar flush every year or it would overheat.
    Last edited by joe_db; 08-19-2021, 01:00 PM.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• 2dogsnight
      • Jun 2012

13.2V was at 1000rpm. at 2000 was 14.3V
      The motor temperature was high at the head area, around cylinders was OK....here are few pictures and my latest video on new alternator.

Before reassembling the motor I had head checked for cracks and it was fine.
      I will be redoing the windows so I can open them. Thinking also about getting an air blower for the motor to keep it cooler. There is plenty of raw water pumped trough the motor, based on how much is coming out of wet exhaust pipe.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 2dogsnight; 08-20-2021, 05:07 AM.

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Your voltage range sounds fine for wet cells, I would not worry about that
        As for the temperature, what does the gauge say? 99% of the time engine temps are discussed, we are talking about the gauge, not IR gun readings. The IR gun will have varying readouts around the engine. Do you not have a temp gauge?
        BTW - none of the readings on your IR gun are too hot.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

For comparison here is a table of engine temperatures taken with an IR gun during testing of the new MMI thermostat, raw water cooled late model engine.
          Attached Files
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 2dogsnight
            • Jun 2012

Joe and Neil,
            All I had was oil pressure gauge. Installed RPM guage and hour counter. This motor does not have a thermostat!! Have improved oil pump in it by Moyer Marine - wider gears pumping more oil trough the system.
            Thank you very much for your input on alternator charge and table on temperatures in various points of the motor. I am feeling much better about all that. What's left now is keep running the motor for my enjoyment

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

2 Dogs..great update.. all the detailed information you are getting is awesome. You need a friend to take a few pics of your boat out cruising!!

Back to the technical parts, as regulators go, I have mine (the old 35A Motorola but I found an adjustable regulator) set to pump about 14.2v into my old school flooded wet cell 12v batteries. They might be 10 years old by now...but I also have very small loads..charging my iPad or laptop I use for navigation and some LED lights, and running the anchor wash down and fresh water pump...short and easy loads.

Good luck !
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                • Jun 2012

Thank you Shawn!!!
                I would LOVE to have a video of my boat under power! Unfortunately don't have friends with boats. Had really nice old tugboat stopped by to tell me that they like my boat, but they didn't want to be boat friends - I am guessing my boat was too small
                I have a drone, but I am afraid to fly it over water, I may not be able to land it precise enough.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

We need to get Ajax back in here to talk about his drone pics. He takes 'em all the time.
                  -Shawn
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• 2dogsnight
                    • Jun 2012

will try to get some video from our bulkhead.....for now I have this:

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

I sent Ajax an email...hopefully he will provide some helpful input! Your selfie stick video was pretty cool, regardless!
                      Last edited by sastanley; 08-27-2021, 10:28 PM.
                      -Shawn
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X