• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C&C32
    • Oct 2020

Alternator switch?

Hi
    This boat is fairly new to me. Atomic4 runs well. But a question I have is this alternator controller? Anyone know how it works? Why you would have one?
    I have not touched it since owning the boat. Just trying to figure out all of this wiring as I do some maintenance.
    Thanks
    Stephen
    Attached Files
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

I have the same thing laying around. It is an Auto Mac.
    I never used the one I inherited. You run the engine and turn the knob to full field the alternator. The knob is a timer and stops the full field when it is done.

I assume that the alternator will then function normally and use the normal regulator. Full field means that the alternator is at maximum output. This was an old way to charge batteries as quickly as possible with the alternator. There are problems doing this and that is why electronic and 3 and 4 step regulators are made.

Comment

• C&C32
      • Oct 2020

Thanks for the reply. Was wondering what it was for. So I may just remove it to clean up the wiring.
      Cheers
      Stephen

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
      I have the same thing laying around. It is an Auto Mac.
      I never used the one I inherited. You run the engine and turn the knob to full field the alternator. The knob is a timer and stops the full field when it is done.

I assume that the alternator will then function normally and use the normal regulator. Full field means that the alternator is at maximum output. This was an old way to charge batteries as quickly as possible with the alternator. There are problems doing this and that is why electronic and 3 and 4 step regulators are made.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by C&C32 View Post
        Was wondering what it was for
        It's the battery destruction switch, popular in the 1980's.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Al Schober
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2009

Yep, an AutoMac. No, the knob is not a timer. It's a control on the current output to the field windings. More current gives more output voltage. When the voltage gets up to a limit (adjustable I think), the AutoMac kicks out. If you want more charge you have to back off on the output current and then restart it. Used one for years until I upgraded to a Balmar ARS-? whatever.

Comment

• romantic comedy
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
            Yep, an AutoMac. No, the knob is not a timer. It's a control on the current output to the field windings. More current gives more output voltage. When the voltage gets up to a limit (adjustable I think), the AutoMac kicks out. If you want more charge you have to back off on the output current and then restart it. Used one for years until I upgraded to a Balmar ARS-? whatever.
            Thanks for the correction Al. That makes more sense then it being a timer.

Comment

Working...
            X