• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLACKBIRD1
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2014

direct drive or reduction ?

The motor in or Morgan, has the 2:1 reduction gear set up, I have a rebuilt motor, for our, boat/home. But as luck would have it, its a direct drive. So it appears that the prop shaft is 5 inches longer for the direct drive .Ill have to drop the rudder, pull out the old shaft ,cutlass bearing ,stuffing box, ECT...OR is there another way?
  • marthur
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2004

You could swap the reduction drive from one motor to the other. You could also get a reduction drive and install it on your rebuilt motor.

I am sending you a PM.
    Last edited by marthur; 04-21-2015, 08:56 AM.
    Mike

Comment

• BLACKBIRD1
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jan 2014

Marthur

Thanks looking forward to your PM..

Comment

• BLACKBIRD1
        Frequent Contributor
        • Jan 2014

Directions

Marthur,..if I can take off my reduction unit and put it on my direct drive, is there a Manuel that can guide me? I looked and the link to MM, for the reduction gear.Set up ,I couldn't make heads nor tails of it,im a shade tree mechanic at best,But I can follow directions pretty good, Thanks in advance

Comment

• lat 64
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2008

Stay with 2:1 reduction

Going to a direct-drive will be a poor conversion. You will need a new smaller prop as it will turn at twice of the speed of the reduction drive. The reduction drive may have a larger shaft too. If so, that would have to go also.
          Definitely swap the reduction gear to the new motor if you must do something.

The swap will not be easy. Their are lots of different parts for each at the output shaft.
          The Moyer catalog page at:

shows the reduction coupled to the reversing gear (Product No. - OREV_25_343). Looks like a pain to do the conversion to me.

Myself, I would pull the pan off the new motor and swap the whole setup from the old in and reassemble. You can see we are getting out of shade-tree and into experienced-mechanic territory quickly. If you are a careful and meticulous person with a penchant for this, I see no barriers except knowledge to do it. I would recommend the videos for helping visualize this job:

Heck, get the whole set!
          If are a sledgehammer kind of guy, then get help with it.

good luck,
          Russ
          Last edited by lat 64; 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM.
          sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
          X