• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Whisky-Delta-Four-Zero

Wd-40 was primarily a protection from rust. It is best used just a Shawn suggests. It first displaces the water and then the light volatiles evaporate and it leaves a gooey film to protect the metal from rust. It's only a fair lube and a so-so penetrant. However, it's all I ever have around, so I use it for everything.

I use it for:
    generally hosing down the rust prone stuff on the engine,
    cutting oil for aluminum,
    cleaning parts,
    cleaning my hands,
    and some say if you spray it on fishing lures it will catch Halibut—never tried that yet.

It will protect your guns from rusting, but it attracts dust and you should clean it and use proper oil before using. my tool box on the boat is slimy with the stuff

Russ
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

WD-40 is also the best "engine crack" starting fluid for diesels I've ever seen.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Kano Labs, makers of Kroil, also make some other great products. I'm not a paid spokesman or anything, but I should be. I just have used, and have been quite satisfied with, their products. I haven't used them all, but I have used these two, in addition to lots of Kroil:

Prevox for excellent rust prevention.

Exrust rust remover.

I have no reason to believe any of their other products would not work as wonderfully as these do.

For your firearms and other finely machined items: Ballistol (not a Kano Labs product, but I've been happy with it).
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• Gordo
          • Jul 2011

OK Guys...pulled the tank, hooked up e temp tank, fired her up:

[YOUTUBE] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6birXvocwuU [/YOUTUBE]

I'm so amazed at this engine! I was SO CLOSE to pulling it for the storage!!!

So it got hot pretty fast when it started and stayed running. A few minutes of no water discharge and I shut her down. Started the troubleshooting at the pump since I figured the impeller would be rotten. It looks brand new!!! With the pump open I opened the seacock, dibble dribble :-( OK, pulled the hose...dribble dribble. took the street L off the stopcock, opened it, BAM water! (Why does ANYONE think through hulls are a good idea????) So I cleaned the bugger out, put it all together, let is cool a couple hrs to be safe, BAMMMMMMMM ran for over 30 minutes, highest temp was 160. That's probably ok considering my injection temp is close to 90 degrees right now!!!!

SO...need to: Get a new impeller and gasket to be safe, change oil a few times, flush cooling system, clean and reinstall tank, get new filters, etc. I think a $100 budget will get her working safely with more stuff done over time.

OH! as far as the shaft turning goes, that was taken care of for me. All my reading here taught me that the shaft may well turn despite being in "neutral" so I finally looked after about 10 minutes of running and sure enough it was! So I checked for a leak and it was a nice slow drip so I figured "what the heck!" put her in gear both ways several times....OMG it all works!!!!
          Last edited by Gordo; 07-25-2011, 06:20 PM.
          My "other" Boat:

sigpic

Comment

• roadnsky
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Gordo-
            Excellent news!
            Isn't A4 Heaven a lovely place?
            -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
            sigpic
            1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• lat 64
              Afourian MVP
              • Oct 2008

That looks like ford blue. A little touch up paint from the auto parts store and you got a $4000 motor.

Russ
              sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Administrator
                MMI Webmaster
                • Oct 2004

The A4 was used as a tractor engine as well as by many military vehicles back in the day. They were designed to be simple and fairly easy to fix, or easy to fix because they are simple, or both.
                From what Don knows, the A4 engine was designed specifically for marine use. I'm guessing you may be thinking of the Palmer engines (likely the P-60) which bear some resemblance.

Bill

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

Great video, and a great story!

For the bystanders, another UHS!

Bill

Comment

• CalebD
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Atomic 4 pedigree

Perhaps I misspoke about the A4's pedigree.
                    This quote from wikipedia:
                    "History and Lineage

The Atomic 4 is descended from an earlier Universal Motor Company design called the Utility Four, which was used extensively in World War II by the United States Navy and allies to power the lifeboats for the ships, barges, and tankers of many navies and merchant marine fleets. The Utility Four was replaced by the Atomic 4 in 1947."

At least I was correct about the military uses this engine and its ancestors contributed to various efforts.
                    More then likely Bill is correct that the Palmer engines were used in farm vehicles and trucks etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmer-Moore_Company
                    The Palmer engines are pretty attractive with their open flywheel. I'd hate to get anything stuck in it though while it was running.
                    My engine was installed in my boat in 1967 so presumably the engine is of the similar vintage, yet my engine block is considered an 'early model'. I wonder what is the earliest model year A4 that MMI has seen in running condition? Any engine blocks from the late 1940s still out there? 1950's?
                    I know there are working A4's from the 1960's as I own one and there are estimated to be about 20,000 of them still out there which I presume are mostly from the 70's and 80's through 1984, when it was discontinued in favor of diesel engines. This gives me an idea for a poll.

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                    From what Don knows, the A4 engine was designed specifically for marine use. I'm guessing you may be thinking of the Palmer engines (likely the P-60) which bear some resemblance.

Bill
                    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

From this site:
                      Don asked me, "What do you think the engine was originally designed for? What was its original application?" Uh-oh. Pop quiz. Think back to British cars. Side valves, low rpm. Tractor use? I said as much and was surprised by the answer. The Atomic 4, from metallurgy to oil passage placement, was designed to be used as a sailboat auxiliary. Every single Atomic 4 to leave the Universal plant was bench-tested and verified to deliver rated output. Don has the original factory dynamometer and is using it for his own rebuilding efforts.
                      reference:
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Sounds good.

Good stuff, everyone's comments. Gordo, haha. You gots yourself an engine. I listened to it running on You Tube and it sounds pretty good!
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Makes you wonder why the previous owner let it go so bad, if you were able to start it up like that. Maybe it wouldn't start for them one day and they just assumed it was shot and gave up on it?

There are too many people who take that approach.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

Just a little Hijack.

I know what you mean Bill. I was on the verge of buying a new autopilot yesterday. People like to deal with what they are familiar with... a little note from this mornings log:

"Auto Pilot is back on the job this morning. Not his fault. Moved a tool box to a forward compartment for last Saturdays Race. Put right above the fluxgate compass..poor old compass had the equivalent of seizures..wandering around aimlessly. Traced the wires and found out where it was.. right next to the tool box. Compass located so no metal near it...OOOPS! I had it working when I had my tool box out "working on it". When I thought I had it fixed and put everything away it was all over the place again....I'm a stund arse...only took me 2 days to figure that out. Finished 1am this morning."

Some days are like that.
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                            The optimist expects it to change.
                            The realist adjusts the sails.
                            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2007

Love it: First time something was fixed by just picking up the toolbox.
                              I pulled a 2 hp outboard out of the recycle bin, checked with the dock master and in a few hrs had it up and running. Rewinding the pull cord recoil was the hardest thing to fix. Dumpster diving at its best. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• ILikeRust
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

Furthering the thread drift here, a couple years ago, while dropping off some debris at our local landfill, I spied one of those little Ryobi 2-cycle mini-cultivators sitting in the "Too Good to Waste" area. The thing looked brand new. I tossed it in the back of the truck.

Got it home, opened up the sparkplug and peeked into the cylinder. I saw shiny, reflective piston crown looking at me. Opened up the carb - pristine and spotless. The thing looked like it had never been run.

Filled the tank with 2-cycle mix, squeezed the priming bulb a few times, pulled the cord.

On the 10th pull, it fired right up. It has run flawlessly ever since. I have used it to turn over the wife's garden plot and to cut in new border beds.

These things go for about $280 new.
                                - Bill T.
                                - Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X