X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wristwister
    • Nov 2013

Drive Saver flex coupling with an A4?

My Tartan 30 has what might be an unusual shaft configuration; there's zero clearance between the shaft exit at the back of the keel and the prop. No way to get a zinc in there. The boatyard tells me it's not good to have the prop up against the keel like that, and suggests I have a new longer shaft made. Alternately, they said I might be able to install a "drive saver" type flex coupling between the shaft and motor which would space the prop back a few inches and have the added bonus of smoothing out any vibration.

What does the A4 brain trust think of this? Any of you have flex couplings mounted to your A4 output? Is there a particular make of flex couple well set up for the A4?

Thanks
    "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

I've got a DriveSaver, and I like it - it's given me 15 years or so of good service. Before the DriveSaver, I could only get in one of the flat collar zincs. Now I can fit a full tapered zinc.
    There's a model specifically for the Atomic 4, which when I purchased it, didn't have the right bolts and washers. I let DriveSaver know of the issues and perhaps they've improved the kit since then.
    Best aspect of it is the electrical isolation - no strange currents going down the shaft and dissolving your propeller (my 12" Michigan went to 9.5").

Comment

• wristwister
      • Nov 2013

Thanks Al, that's exactly the sort of input I was looking for. I'll get hold of Drivesavers and see what they recommend.
      "A ship in the harbor is safe ... but that's not what ships are built for.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • May 2010

Heads up

There's two on that auction site right now at $225

Globe model# 353 with a list price of $507.

Jeff

sigpic
        S/V Bunny Planet
        1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Why not make a spacer?

Make it out of aluminum or steel. Maybe even a "plastic" might work. Got a piece of lignum vitae?

Why are those drive savers so much?

Comment

Working...
          X