• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Is my engine old style or new?

Hi Don,

I'm in the process of buying a boat with an Atomic-4. The boat is a 1977 Pearson 323, and the A4 has a serial number of 197869. Can you tell from this whether it is an old style or new? Based on the date, I'm guessing its new.

Also, I have no history on the engine before 2007. Can you tell from the serial number if it's one that you rebuilt in the past?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

@(^.^)@ Ed
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
    I'm in the process of buying a boat with an Atomic-4. The boat is a 1977 Pearson 323, and the A4 has a serial number of 197869. Can you tell from this whether it is an old style or new? Based on the date, I'm guessing its new.
    Ed-
    While you wait for Don to reply to you here's another way to figure if your A4 is EARLY or LATE model from the FAQ section of this site...

12. Early or late model? How can I tell? What difference does it make?
    Most parts are interchangeable between early and late model engines. However, a few parts (particularly some of those used in fuel, ignition, and cooling systems) are unique to early or late models.

If you have an original engine from the mid-seventies or later, with an oil fill tube over the flywheel housing in front of the engine, you can be reasonably sure that your engine will require all late model parts.

If your engine does not have an oil fill tube over the flywheel housing, it may require a mix of late and early model parts. You will therefore need the following information before ordering:

1. To order ignition parts (including the "Ignitor"), you will need to know if your distributor was manufactured by Delco (used on late model engines), or by Prestolite (used on early model engines). Prestolite distributors are distinctively smaller in size, and their condensers are mounted on the outside of the distributor housing.

2. To order cooling system parts, you will need to know if your engine has a thermostat housing (a small dome-shaped casting) located on the front corner of the head, nearest the starter. This thermostat housing would indicate that your engine has a late model cooling system.

3. To order carburetor parts, you will need to know if your carburetor is made of aluminum or cast iron. Aluminum carburetors were used on late model engines. All carburetors were manufactured by Zenith or Bendix, so the manufacturer does not help in determining your carburetor vintage.

4. To order gaskets, you will need to know (1) and (2) above, plus the shape of your transmission cover. Late model engines used a square cover, and early model engines used a rectangular cover with a curved top ("tombstone-shaped").

Given the year and serial number, I'd bet my current savings of boat bucks you've got a LATE Model...
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• rigspelt
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
      the A4 has a serial number of 197869
      Ours is a lower serial number than that, and is a late model.
      1974 C&C 27

Comment

Working...
      X