• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tangaroa3
    • Mar 2013

Off topic poll about antifouling coatings

Good Day Folks,
    I hope a non engine discussion is OK....but it is about boats.
    I'm taking all the coatings off of the bottom of our C&C Corvette and starting over. The last antifouling paint I used was Petit Hydrocoat CF (copper free) which was essentially useless here on the Chesapeake. Fouled very quickly, did not slough off underway and eventually fouled very badly including hard growth. A short haul and gentle power wash last fall to try and clean it up a bit basically blew what was left of the paint off of the boat.
    So...taking it down to gelcoat and starting over.
    The Corvette is a bit odd in that it has an aluminum rudder. It's epoxy coated (as is the iron centerboard) but I still feel compelled to used a copper free antifouling paint to prevent it from becoming swiss cheese.
    Any other Corvette owners out there with thoughts on this?
    What are you Chesapeake boaters using for antifouling? What is holding up best? I'm considering switching to a hard paint due to the fact that you cannot dive on your boat to scrub the bottom if you have an ablative.
    Hope everyone is safe and healthy during this time.
    Thanks,
    Todd
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

We're in the mid/northern Chesapeake (Baltimore) and have been using Mar-Pro Super-B Ablative for the last 4 years with good results. It has 45% cuprous oxide. With two coats, I generally get 2 years out of it, with a spring pressure wash in the off season.

But we don't have your aluminum rudder.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I would suggest asking this on the C&C list.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
      X