X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hymodyne
    • Feb 2013

mast to mast base corrsosion

corrosion between mast base and bottom of mast tube will not allow me to separate the two, even after screws were removed or drilled out if they sheared. I've saturated the base with pb baster, but other than a few air bubbles at the joint, no movement.

my mast base is cast aluminum, and has a insert for the deck about the size of a snickers bar. I put a wrench on this part and tried to shake and move the base with no luck. Top mast cap came out fine, lower one has seen more salt water.

Suggestions?

James
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Is the mast off the boat on horses? Mast length?
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2007

Any Pictures?
      Mo

"Odyssey"
      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
      The optimist expects it to change.
      The realist adjusts the sails.
      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Hymodyne
        • Feb 2013

mast is on horses on the ground and 37 feet in length. Pictures tomorrow.

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Buy 10' sticks of the cheapest ½" metal pipe you can find, 4 of them. Insert them into the mast from the top, threading each length to the last until the assembled length reaches the mast step. A few love taps with a hammer should do the trick. Roll the mast between taps to work evenly around the mast step. PVC is too flexible to transfer the striking force over 40 feet effectively.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• Hymodyne
            • Feb 2013

A friend with a boat at the yard brought an electrician's fishing wire that we used to thread the new coax the length of the mast. First attempt the shepherd's crook at the end of the wire caught the wiring for the mast light and broke it, so now I have to replace that too
            one step forward...
            James

Comment

• Clucas
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              Buy 10' sticks of the cheapest ½" metal pipe you can find, 4 of them. Insert them into the mast from the top, threading each length to the last until the assembled length reaches the mast step. A few love taps with a hammer should do the trick. Roll the mast between taps to work evenly around the mast step. PVC is too flexible to transfer the striking force over 40 feet effectively.
              Good idea. Since the mast and the base are both aluminum, I don't know whether heat would help (if they were dis-similar metals, then yes). That said, could try a propane torch and applying a candle stub where the base and mast meet -- capillary action might draw in some of the wax and help loosen things up. I wouldn't go crazy with it though. You might try it where the screws were -- I'm guessing corrosion where the stainless screws and aluminum are what's causing the problem.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Nov 2008

I vote for heat + impact with a metal pipe down the mast. If you are near the water be careful the base does not land in the water should it pop loose.
                I've been around this mulberry bush stripping the end fittings off a boom. Heat from a propane torch and impact did the trick.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Hymodyne
                  • Feb 2013

we got the wire unstuck and eventually threaded the new coax. pulling the base off wasn't necessary.

James

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

How do you re-step the mast with the base stuck on it?
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                      How do you re-step the mast with the base stuck on it?
                      How did you unstep the mast with the base stuck on it?
                      Neil: Isn't the base attached to the boat in some way or am I not remembering correctly? Would a keel mounted mast make any difference?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                        Neil: Isn't the base attached to the boat in some way or am I not remembering correctly? Would a keel mounted mast make any difference?
                        Every sailboat I ever built (100's) or was otherwise involved (many 100's more) regardless of size had the mast step affixed to either the deck via stainless lag bolts into a reinforcement/compression post structure in the case of deck stepped masts or via stainless machine screws into a structural steel armature in the bilge in the case of keel stepped masts. The step fit into the mast's heel to check fore and aft and lateral movement.

Following James' thread I could not help but think a stuck mast step is not a normal condition so with the mast on horses this is the ideal time to deal with it. It's reasonable to assume the mast end has been corroded, probably on the inside where it cannot be seen, the reason the step is stuck. There is no greater force on a sailboat than mast compression so if it were me I'd want that area to be as pristine as humanly possible and to that end step removal, careful inspection and possible remediation would be high on my project list. Remediation might be as simple as drilling water drain holes to keep the step area as dry as possible.

Like I said, now is the time. Sorry for preaching James, just expressing my concern.
                        Last edited by ndutton; 08-28-2017, 11:50 PM.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

Isn't there a product that acts as a barrier to electrolysis between metals?
                          When I had my mast dropped years ago my rigger used something like that. I think it was aluminalstic?
                          My rigger suggested it so there would not be electrolysis between the mast and the step.

TRUE GRIT
                          Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 08-29-2017, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I prefer NOALOX, an anti-oxidant compound used in the electrical industry for aluminum wire terminations. Even Home Depot carries it.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• Hymodyne
                              • Feb 2013

the mast base fits into a space on the deck. I will continue to try to remove the base and address the corrosion.

Thank you for the replies and concern,

James

Comment

Working...
                              X