Order a new carburetor or keep messing around ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JDK
    • Apr 2016

Order a new carburetor or keep messing around ?

I'm just really tired of taking the carburetor on and off the engine, it seems to want to run but is flooding real bad killing it off, I just messed with the float yesterday and it seemed to be working but it's still flooding after 10 seconds running, just wanted to ask you guys if I missed something before I call Don and order a new carburetor......i'v been stuck anchored off, I'd like to get my show underway again , greetings from the Gulf of Mexico right off the beach at Estero Island....
  • JDK
    • Apr 2016

Oh and to clarify, this carb was sunken once and sat around full of rusty rainwater and was a miracle that it ran in the first place after being cleaned up, i'v had issues on and off for a year now, in between she's ran like a charm so I'm fairly sure it's not the engine mechanicals at all, I'm thinking bolt a nice new carb on there she'll run like a charm again....

Comment

• edwardc
      Afourian MVP
      • Aug 2009

Check that the float body isn't partially filled with gas. This gives it less buoyancy, and it doesnt have enough force to close the needle valve.

There are two checks to perform. One is to balance the float on a knife edge to see that the left and right sides are equal. The other is to just shake it close to your ear and listen for a sloshing noise.

Saltwater can form a tiny pinhole in the float and cause it to slowly take on gas over time.
      @(^.^)@ Ed
      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

My opinion is if the budget allows, get the new carb. You've earned it.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

What is the setting of the "float level"? Did you "closely" inspect the needle and the seat?
          The above and what Edward posted are likely scenarios.

Also be sure the halves are "actually sealing" the vent well in the middle of the bowl. Unless this is "sealed" the carb will not meter properly.

Good luck.

Don't know of your budget but if you do go for a new carb do place a polishing filter in front of it. And be aware that when removing the fuel lines that you do not "peel" any of the inside of the hose loose only to plug the carb. A good idea is to always plumb the carb hose with loops so you can just cut off then remove so you have fresh ends and no bits of hose to get into the carb when doing maintenance or repairs.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I prefer flare fittings for the carburetor fuel connection for that exact reason.
            Attached Files
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marty Levenson
              • Nov 2004

Both

Budget permitting I would order a new carb AND keep messing around. When you get the old carb running right use it as a spare.
              Marty
              1967 Tartan 27
              Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• tac
                • Nov 2015

If you mean by “flooding” that fuel is pooling in the intake and maybe spilling out the flame arrester, then I agree especially with Dave Neptune’s post above concerning mating of the carb upper and lower halves. See Don’s explanation of why this happens, and the fix, here:

If you do a search through Dave Neptune’s posts you’ll also find his suggestions on flattening the mating surfaces. It’s an easy fix and worked for me.

Comment

• JDK
                  • Apr 2016

I decided to just order a new one and some plugs, I guess I'll be called back on Monday....hope it comes quickly so I can get back inland, it's almost marina season....

Comment

• JDK
                    • Apr 2016

I decided to just order a new one and some plugs, I guess I'll be called back on Monday....hope it comes quickly so I can get back inland, it's almost marina season....that's interesting info on the carburator housings.....sounds like I'll definitely be better off with a shiny new one to get me going.....

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      • Nov 2008

A fuel pressure gauge is a great addition. It is much easier to install a fuel pressure gauge and a polishing filter at the same time rather than install each one separately.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JDK
                        • Apr 2016

There are 3 fuel filters including a Racor so I'm good.....

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                          What is the setting of the "float level"? Did you "closely" inspect the needle and the seat?
                          The above and what Edward posted are likely scenarios.

Also be sure the halves are "actually sealing" the vent well in the middle of the bowl. Unless this is "sealed" the carb will not meter properly.

Good luck.

Don't know of your budget but if you do go for a new carb do place a polishing filter in front of it. And be aware that when removing the fuel lines that you do not "peel" any of the inside of the hose loose only to plug the carb. A good idea is to always plumb the carb hose with loops so you can just cut off then remove so you have fresh ends and no bits of hose to get into the carb when doing maintenance or repairs.

Dave Neptune
                          This X 100!
                          I use the polishing filter as the disconnect point so any bits of rubber end up caught in the filter and not in the carb.
                          If you can afford it, you really might want to get a new one. I did and lived happily ever after
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            • Nov 2008

I'm Happy Too

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                            This X 100!
                            I use the polishing filter as the disconnect point so any bits of rubber end up caught in the filter and not in the carb.
                            If you can afford it, you really might want to get a new one. I did and lived happily ever after
                            Ever since I installed a polishing filter I have not had to so much as even touch the carburetor.
                            Had to change the filter once but that only means it is doing it's job.
                            Highly recommended.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• JDK
                              • Apr 2016

Order is away, hopefully I get it before the weekend.....

Comment

Working...
                              X