Warm engine won't restart...compression issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Close Reach
    • Feb 2009

Warm engine won't restart...compression issue?

Hello,
    My rebuilt A4 runs like a top in all circumstances except the following: if she has been running for more than 20-30 minutes and I shut her down (at a fuel dock, for example) she will not restart for at least another 25 minutes or so.

I've posted about this here and also gotten some excellent support from Ken that has ruled out most of the simple stuff (fuel pump, no spark etc). The local "A4 guy" (Tony at Watanabe Marine) said that it is probably a compression issue and I should test the compression on the engine after running it.

This sounds plausible to me, interested in hearing anyone elses take on this.
    1975 C&C 33
    A4 with FWC
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Could very well be. If she has spark and fuel and is getting air it should go. The only thing left really is compression. So I would get a gauge and check the compression. I would think, however, that if it starts cold it should start warm as well. Others may have more to add.

Do you have lots of power when driving the boat? Will she do hull speed or do you notice the engine revs just don't come up?? Typically, if she has lots of power under load she has the ability to put out some horse power...that would suggest that she does have some compression. Certainly worth a check and then you know.

All that said, I be making sure there's a nice blue spark from the wire when checking fire...if not, it could be coil or something else in the ignition system.
    Last edited by Mo; 08-23-2012, 01:55 PM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

?

Mr, are you using the choke when trying to restart warm? How is the idle, smooth, rough surging etc? What temp does the engine run at?
      From your post I asume you did check for spark(??).

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mr. Close Reach
        • Feb 2009

Thanks guys. Yes the power seems fine, no problem to get the engine to hull speed assuming a clean bottom/prop.

I will check the spark again today, it was strong last season (I've had this problem for years) but probably worth another look. Yes I do re-start with full choke, to no avail. The engine seems to run cool - plenty of cooling water (that comes out hot). Can't remember the temp I usually see but will take another look at that as well.
        1975 C&C 33
        A4 with FWC

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          • Nov 2008

2 Questions

Does the engine ever shut down while it is running perhaps longer than 20-30 minutes?
          Or does it just not start when you turn it off after running when it is well warmed up?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

Sounding a lot like the overheating coil problem.

Comment

• Mr. Close Reach
              • Feb 2009

John - no, except yes. The previous three seasons it never shut down on me, whether I was running it 20 minutes or 4 hours. However, this seaon it has shut down on me twice. Once after running for just a few minutes (in that case I was able to start it right back up) and one after running for ~25 minutes, woud not restart that time.

67, that occured to me but wouldn't that cause a shut-down, rather than just a restart issue?
              1975 C&C 33
              A4 with FWC

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                • Jan 2007

Checks

Mr, time to possibly look at the ign switch itself. Next time it occurs check spark immediatly and then run a "hot wire" to the + side of the coil and check again or do a voltage reading at that terminal. Coils are usually a bit consistant time wise regardoing intermitant failure if comporimised but the switch can screw up anytime and even supply a weak voltage.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

This caught my attention:
                  Originally posted by Mr. Close Reach View Post
                  Yes I do re-start with full choke, to no avail.
                  I don't need any choke restarting a warm engine. In fact, every engine I've ever had in my life didn't need choke when restarting warm. That covers any manual choke gasoline engine you can imagine - inboards, outboards, lawn mowers, generators, motorcycles, chain saws, weed whackers, you name it.

Using choke in these cases virtually guaranteed a [fuel] flooded condition.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

Mr. CR..I am with Neil...and I've had trouble here too...with a warm A-4, choke does not help it start...if the engine is off for 20 mins (fuel dock/pumpout etc.) if I apply choke (out of habit) it will not start.

I find that leaving the throttle at idle and no choke and just spinning the starter, and she magically fires.
                    Last edited by sastanley; 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bingy
                      • Sep 2011

I also agree,as my engine starts without choke after an initial warm up and will continue to do so for up to 2 hours or so unless air/water temp is very cold .

Comment

• Ball Racing
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jul 2011

Sometimes when my motor is warm it takes some throttle to get it to fire.
                        Seems like the warm manifold maybe warms the carb body and causes it to spill some fuel or vapor and makes a rich condition that needs some extra air to fire.
                        (This is not always needed, but noticed it on the hot days of this past July)
                        Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
                        Daniel

Comment

• Mr. Close Reach
                          • Feb 2009

Thanks; I have tried every permutation of choke/no choke/throttle/no throttle.

Hoping to check the compression this weekend.
                          1975 C&C 33
                          A4 with FWC

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            • Nov 2008

A Momentary Digression

Originally posted by Ball Racing View Post
                            Sometimes when my motor is warm it takes some throttle to get it to fire.
                            Seems like the warm manifold maybe warms the carb body and causes it to spill some fuel or vapor and makes a rich condition that needs some extra air to fire.
                            (This is not always needed, but noticed it on the hot days of this past July)
                            +1 on this.
                            I've noticed the same thing - the warmer the weather the less choke I need to start the engine. This is true when the engine is warm or cold. Maybe this is because gasoline is more volatile at warmer temperatures???

Side note to Mr.CR R\E post #7 last sentence:
                            A heat damaged coil will cause both shutdown and restart issues. A heat damaged coil will cause a shutdown when it warms up and the engine will not start until it cools down. This will usually occur in cycles. The shutdown cycle will become shorter as the damage progresses.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sony2000
                              • Dec 2011

Another option is to close the valve on the gas tank when you think you might have difficulty restarting the engine. Then reopen it, just after the engine restarts.

Comment

Working...
                              X