Happy Thanksgiving...this Turkey flooded his A4 (and cabin...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78Columbia27
    • Mar 2010

Happy Thanksgiving...this Turkey flooded his A4 (and cabin...)

Hello MMA4 Community;

I hope all have had a pleasant and prosperous bird day;

I come to the community for some much needed help;

I managed to flood the boat by leaving the deck gas fill port open and unconnected to the g-tank (I was mid way through replacing a very bad, fouled gas tank) during the 'cane in the NE in Sept/Aug...took about 18" into the cabin. Discovered this a week later and bilged her out.

Previously great running A4 Engine was about half submerged. Dipstick was below water level and the oil became an oil water mix. Suctioned out the oil and refilled. Distributor was under, dried it out &replaced ign parts.

Rebuilt carb w/o a kit, just took it apart, hit it w compressed air, put back on.

Went to start it. No go. Pulled plugs, turned over while grounding to block, got good spark at each plug. Tested compression w/wadded up shop towels "threaded" into each hole and they each popped 2 feet into the air, so I assume good compr.

I'm drawing gas out of a 1gal tank fed by a siphon hose w a bulb (worked very well b/f this happened) while I'm in between tanks.

When I crank it I sometimes get an intermittent "backfire" blowing back through the carb (flame arrestor is off right now). At first blew rusty colored fluid (realize now that I neglected to smell this fluid) then it became a white smoky "pop" every 2-3 seconds. Cranked w choke and throttle in every conceivable config. Also pulled plugs again and they were wet but it did not smell like gas (my assumption was that I would've easily recgognized the fuel smell and I did not)

I have to think I have fudged up the carb somehow since compression & spark seem good.

Can anyone help???

thank you and enjoy the leftovers!!!!!

Eric
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

a few quick ideas

Hi,
    Ensure water intake is turned off as you try and start it.

I'd do the compression test holding your thumb firmly pushing down...the compression should pop your thumb off. I doubt the shop towels provided as much resistance.

Check the wires for proper firing sequence. If you had the distributor out there is a possibility it's in 180 degrees backward. Also look at your plugs and ensure they all fire. If you have bad plugs all the fire in the world is not going to make them fire. Check the gap if they have spark. Also look for signs of gas or water on the plugs. Water will leave beading at the tips and they may look cleaner.

Have you had frost and was the engine winterized. If you had frost and it wasn't winterized check the exhaust manifold for rupture...that would cause water /steam going into the combustion chambers and you might notice beading and nice clean plugs.

The carb and delivery is another thought although you've looked at that...something to consider also. Once you get it running you'll have to change the oil again and run it for a few minutes, then change again until you have no signs of water in it...usually 3 or 4 times.
    Last edited by Mo; 11-25-2011, 07:03 PM.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

It's possible in the course of
      Distributor was under, dried it out &replaced ign parts.
      1. You Replaced the distributor in a grossly advanced position
      2. Points (do you have points?) are improperly adjusted
      3. Plug wires were replaced in the wrong order
      Having spark is good but from your description we can't tell if it's at the right time.

I'm staying clear of stuck valves for now based on your compression description.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

yup that too.

Good idea Neil...I forgot about the points.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• 78Columbia27
          • Mar 2010

Thank you Mo and Neil!

Taking each suggestion point-by-point, but regarding wires in correct sequence -

Did not remove distrib (sorry for misleading description) only took off "separator plate", sucked out the goo & hit it w some DW40.

BUT - In replacing the cap, and then wires, did not consider the rotor's position whatsoever (mistake?). I assumed as long as 1243 it would operate in proper sequence, so just placed rotor on and popped the cap back on.

Then, I arbitrarily picked the 6:00 O'Clock postion on the D cap(standing over engine, feet at flywheel, looking down at "clock") for the 1 wire. 2 wire then went at 9:00 (starboard), 4 then went at 12:00 (aftmost) and 3 went at 3:00 (port). Do not even recall the position of the rotor during all this, did not take it into consideration.

Hoping that was my mistake, sorry for the amatuer hour routine if that was it.

re: your other comments:

Cap has a big screw and a small screw (re: the 180 degree switcheroo) but will double check.
           Intake: On hard.
           Compression: will put a guage on and post readings.
           I think I got the points right, used a guage (so, as I spin the Dizz, closed as the flat surface passes by and gaps as the "corners" pass by).
           Fuel or Water on plugs: i need to get a better answer for that. they're wet, not 100% sure by what's on them.
           Engine was winterized at the time of occurence.

THANK YOU!!
          Eric

Comment

• 78Columbia27
            • Mar 2010

combing other threads, realizing my error and that I must establish TDC, then place wire #1 at the "9 O'Clock" postion -

Thank you for pointing this out - will post results - Thank you, Eric

Comment

• Loki9
              • Jul 2011

You dont need to find TDC. As long as you have the wires in the right order, 1-2-4-3, there are only four possible ways to hook them up. Just try them all. If the first go doesnt start move each wire 90 degrees and try again.
              Jeff Taylor
              Baltic 38DP

Comment

• 78Columbia27
                • Mar 2010

Got it started...it was the wires (set in proper order but incorrect positions on D cap)...gotta say, man these engines are tough to be able to bounce back after filling w H2O...Thank you very much for views and for pointing out my erroneous ways! Eric

Comment

• Laker
                  • Sep 2010

78C ,

Congratulations on joining the ranks of A4 owners who have drowned or otherwise abused their power plant and have experienced the forgiving nature of the beast.

Charter member of the I Drowned My A4 And Experienced The Rebirth Thereof Club , Laker.
                  1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• 78Columbia27
                    • Mar 2010

LOL - Thanks -

Tracking Hanley's voyage on alt thread (beautiful boat)...Coolest forum(thanks Don!), coolest forum-goers, and of course, coolest engine...

best of Luck, speed & success to Hanley!

Comment

• sastanley
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by 78Columbia27 View Post
                      combing other threads, realizing my error and that I must establish TDC, then place wire #1 at the "9 O'Clock" postion -

Thank you for pointing this out - will post results - Thank you, Eric
                      I was gonna guess this was your issue...nice work getting it going..

Don't forget a few oil changes to get the water out of the crankcase. I'd also recommend squirting some MMO into the cylinders in between runnings to lube up the valve guides..my #4 likes to stick after the P.O. drowned my motor (more than once..)
                      -Shawn
                      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jul 2009

I'm getting into this thread late, but I'm glad you've got it going.
                        When you get a chance, you may want to clean out your starter. The brush rigging and springs don't take kindly to corrosion - salt water is worst, but fresh can't be good.

Al

Comment

Working...
                        X