X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pknier
    • Oct 2004

In-line fuel flow meter/gauge

Is there a fuel meter/gauge i can install on the fuel line to serve as a fuel monitor/meter/gauge that is compatible with the A-4?
    I do not have a gauge in my tank, nor anyway of know how much fuel i have left in the tank other than my very make-shift "dipstick"
    thanks, pck
  • dvd
    • Dec 2008

PK

Some of the forum members may be able to help you with that issue. However the measuring stick method worked for me and I know a lot of us for many years. I replaced my tank recently and the new plastic Moeller tanks come with a sending unit so now I have a guage, but I never really had a problem with the measuring stick method. What I would do is figure about 1 gallon per hour of fuel usage and plan accordingly. The measuring stick method, although crude, works well.

dvd

Comment

• toddster
      • Aug 2011

Mine came with one, but the other day I saw some inexpensive sending units in the WM catalog, that you might be able to retrofit.

You seem to be asking about a flow meter. These are finicky and/or expensive gadgets. (Unless there are some consumer-grade automotive products now, that I don't know about.) A better method of guestimating reserves would be to install an engine-hour meter and over a season or so, work up a table of fuel use per hour at common RPM settings. Hmm... I guess you still need to know fuel volume to do that... top up the tank every day? Anyway, it would be best to have both numbers available at all times.

Anyone know how all these new cars produce the instantaneous mileage readings on the dashboard?

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I have used fuel flow totalizers in airplanes and they work well. I never got one for the boat because they seem to lose accuracy below 1 gph, which makes them kind of useless for A4s. As for cars, the ECU will send that information to a display in the car.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
        X