X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

You've confirmed compression and spark, the only thing left is fuel. Understand the fuel pump is operating, can you confirm there's fuel in the carburetor bowl?

My first guess here is a stuck float valve. Maybe try a sharp rap or two on the carb with the handle of a screwdriver to free it.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• gclayton
      • Feb 2008

Neil
      Thanks for the suggestion I will check the bowl this weekend when I go to the boat. One thing i forgot to mention was that even though i only got partial combustion i did notice some smoke coming from the oil fill cap. Does anyone know what would cause that? MMO?
      George Clayton
      sv ADULLUM II
      C30

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

A couple of "ifs"

Is the water intake turned off? Were there are "wet bubbles" on the plugs ... that might be a possibility.

- turn water off until after it starts.

- If after you turn the water on (while running), the engine stalls or starts to run poorly first look to the exhaust manifold.

- If the engine was laying up for a while the exhaust manifold could possibly have fractured due to frost.

Just to be clear: As long as the water is off it should start. ... so if it's not starting with the water intake off, water incursion is not the problem at this point.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• gclayton
          • Feb 2008

Maurice

The water was off, the boat is still on the hard.
          George Clayton
          sv ADULLUM II
          C30

"The Majesty Of The Sea Far Exceeds The Muscle Of Language To Express It" Unknown

Comment

• Bold Rascal
            • Mar 2011

Not sure what the inside of your carb looks like but here's a few pics of mine which was sitting around on the hard for 6 years.
            Attached Files
            Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
            1973 Pearson 33
            1967 Bristol 27
            sigpic

Comment

• gclayton
              • Feb 2008

yup, thats it but more oatmeal in it. Yesterday it dawned on me that the fuel line and pump was probably full of bad gas. Im going to replace everything this weekend.
              George Clayton
              sv ADULLUM II
              C30

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                • Mar 2011

Amazing isn't it?
                In regard to replacing your fuel line and filter: What is your main fuel line made from?

If it's copper and in good condition (no kinks or leaks) most likely it will clean up just from having fresh gas running through it or, You could block off the lowest end and spray carb cleaner into the upper end and drain it off. Try doing that a few times till it runs clear.

If it's rubber hose I'd replace it with copper or rubber hose that's Ethanol rated. You should for sure have a fuel shut-off valve.

Do you have one of those paper element inline filters? I'd just replace that alltogether with a new one.

Do you have a RACOR style fuel filter? Most likely it will just need to be drained and cleaned.

Your gonna feel really good about yourself when you get that engine running.
                1973 Pearson 33
                1967 Bristol 27
                sigpic

Comment

• gclayton
                  • Feb 2008

Mike

Ive got a rubber fuel line so after 30 years it must be pretty bad. I did replace both my inline and racor filters. Im going to drain any gas from them before I replace them. First Im going to just run a fuel line from the tank directly to the pump and then the carb to eliminate the filters as a source of problem. Ill replace them once she runs. So with clean fuel, new lines, spark , rebuilt carb (which I will drain again) she will ROAR to life this weekend.

Your right I will feel really good when I get her running. Its taken a while but each step corrects a problem and brings me one step closer. Thanks for the input.
                  George
                  George Clayton
                  sv ADULLUM II
                  C30

Comment

• sastanley
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Sep 2008

good luck george...we are pulling for you...report back.
                    -Shawn
                    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                    sigpic

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                      • Mar 2011

George. It's up to you but please consider installing at least the paper element inline filter in the gas line between your fuel pump and the carb. Especailly with an all new set up. Don't be in a hurry at this stage, Take your time, double check yourself, She'll Run.

When I finally did get mine running (just last weekend) , I realized I wasn't as preparred for the event as I had hought. Watch your Oil pressure and water temp. At idle I'm pretty sure you should be looking for 20-25PSI? If your water temps start to venture towards the higher ranges shut her down and figure out why.

Not being sure I could trust the accuracy of my original oil and water sending units, I replaced them (at least for the innitial start-up) with a set of mechanical guages.

Once it fired up, and boy HOW it started up! I let it run for just a very few minutes and then it shut it down so I could start breathing again. LOL.

Good Luck and have fun!
                      1973 Pearson 33
                      1967 Bristol 27
                      sigpic

Comment

• gclayton
                        • Feb 2008

Still workin at it

Shawn, Mike
                        well I replaced all my fuel lines and primed them but couldnt get any gas to the carb. Mike I took your advice and left the polishing filter in place. It must be the card. I should have thought it through more clearly. With all the gunk and crud in the carb I should have assumed the pump would be just as bad and replaced three weeks ago. Oh well another lesson learned.

I have also learned that being an A4 mechanic is a contact sport...and I am wearing my scars proudly.
                        George Clayton
                        sv ADULLUM II
                        C30

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by gclayton View Post
                          I have also learned that being an A4 mechanic is a contact sport...and I am wearing my scars proudly.
                          Ha ha ha...that is funny!
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• gclayton
                            • Feb 2008

Remote starter

I must ask a dumb question of all. I have been using a remote starter switch when working on my A4. I have jumped the oil safety switch when trying to pump fuel to the carb. The remote starter is connected to the main post on the selenoid and S terminal. I assumed this would bypass the ignition switch so I left it off. Is this correct or do I also have to turn on the ignition to power the fuel pump?

As usual thanks for guidance.
                            George Clayton
                            sv ADULLUM II
                            C30

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

I posted this drawing recently on another thread but I'll do it again here because it applies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic Engine Wiring w electric fuel pump.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	190828

Following the purple line to the fuel pump, the ignition must be on and the OPSS bypassed to energize the pump. The remote starter switch between '+' power and the 'S' terminal won't do it. You're risking the coil if you leave it that way for any length of time though.

Do you have any interest in a system that allows you to run the fuel pump alone without risking the coil?
                              Last edited by ndutton; 05-11-2011, 12:16 PM. Reason: Posed a question
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• gclayton
                                • Feb 2008

Sucess !!!

First let me thank all of you on this forum for your help. I would have been lost many times without your input! Well Sunday was the day. I installed the new fuel pump, it had to be the last part of the puzzle. 8 years on the hard, seized engine, new starter, electronic ignition, coil, fuel lines, filters, fuel pump, rebuilt carb. Then I cranked her over and she roared to life with billowing smoke from the exhaust (MMO burn off).

Now that I know the engine runs all I have to do is a total refit of the entire rest of the boat but now I can dunk her and sleep at the dock while I do the rest of the work.

Thanks to all!

George
                                George Clayton
                                sv ADULLUM II
                                C30

Comment

Working...
                                X