• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Not a darned thing wrong witih my engine

But that's because of the great advice and help I've gotten from this group.

From the time I got my boat six years ago, I've replaced the head gasket, redrilled some engine studs, added a Racor and polishing filter, changed to electronic ignition, replaced the water pump and all the cooling lines, had the alternator rebuilt, rewired every 12V piece of conductor there is on the engine, done the shore power correctly, rebuilt the hot section of the exhaust, replaced the carburetor, added the adjustable main jet, added the PCV kit... does that cover it all? Nope. Replaced the instrument panel and added an electric bilge pump. (OK, those last two aren't engine fixes.)

And all with the support of this wonderful group. And I'd never laid eyes on an Atomic 4 before. (But as a child of the '70s I had lots of experience working on engines in general.)

So kudos to everyone here. I just wanted to say something because I haven't had any problems to post about for a long time. [Knocks wood.] Just two seasons now of smooth, undisturbed Atomic 4-ness.

Thanks to all, and especially to Don and his team. Where would we be without them?
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
    Thanks to all, and especially to Don and his team. Where would we be without them?
    Amen Brother!
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Kudos

Baltimore, good to hear positive stuff and Kudos for the support of MMI.
      I have had years of great service from my beastie too.
      Just developed a packing issue this past weekend though. Will be checking out more this weekend, a work weekend I'm afraid.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

This is all well and good but in my experience once one starts talking about how smoothly things are going, Mr. Murphy hears about it and starts asserting his law. So please be extra-careful out there, wouldja?

Comment

• dvd
          • Dec 2008

Ah yes the zen of atomic 4ness

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Good show.

Good to hear Baltimore Sailor. My has run relatively trouble free as well...5 yrs now...and not worried about it one little bit.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

tenders, that is true..however, being an active member of this forum also gives us the confidence to recognize and knowledge to repair relatively minor issues that may have been showstoppers a few years ago.

I recall my "fire" a couple weeks ago, which was really the FWC system exploding. Within 5 minutes, I had a plan in place to keep it from ruining my weekend ("no problem honey, I can re-route a few hoses & go back to RWC for the weekend if needed. Let's keep sailing.") As it turned out, about 25 minutes of fiddling at anchor later had the boat all fixed up & clean, and I was comfortable enough not to be embarrased to have the planned guests aboard for the evening either. I had these nightmares of us sleeping in an antifreeze bath!

Imagine if that had happened as a new owner?? My wife probably would have called MayDay or jumped ship and swam ashore!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• domagami
                • Feb 2006

Me too

I 2nd that thought.

I joined about three months before you and I even remember seeing your first post. I feel the same way - so much help here to be thankful for. Not only did I research problems from old posts, but others quickly provided various helpful opinions on how to think about or resolve problems. Just having a bunch of you out there saying 'you'll get it resolved, we did' - very helpful to me in getting through some issues.

MD

Comment

Working...
                X