• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • merit131
    Frequent Contributor
    • Apr 2011

Reinstalling a rebuilt Distributor

Hello again, I just removed my entire distributor that needs replacing. I’ll get a rebuilt from here. It’s be awhile since I’ve done this. Now I am lost. Now when the new rebuilt comes in what do I do? Do I need to get the #1 Clyd on compression stroke, then match it up w/ the #1 on the dist? Must be more to it I'm sure... Please help, thanks Jack
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

What should have happened was to mark the orientation of the rotor and the distributor body prior to removing the old distributor, then being careful not to rotate the engine with the distributor out. Since that was not done . . . . .

Now you're in for a full timing exercise. Rather than get into it here, consult your MMI manual (essential reference for the Atomic 4) and go to page 3-2. You'll find easy step by step instructions there.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Install

Jack, yep that is pretty much it to get the beastie started. You can fine tune afer that when it warms up.
      Be sure #1 is on the compression stroke and at as close to TDC as you can get it by looking at the cranking pin. Then you can drop it in and pick a post for #1 or fiddle around and get on the outside post I think. Someone will chime in on the Universal instalation setting although any which way works as long as the firing order is correct and the timing is right.
      Then you can set timing via power loading and setting the distributor.
      No Biggie if you know the basics already.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• merit131
        Frequent Contributor
        • Apr 2011

Reinstalling the Distributor

Thanks Guy's, I did mark the body of the dist, but forgot about the rotor, and as soon as it was out in my hand, I knew I messed up. I guess I can buy the manual here? Thank's again. Jack

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

The timing exercise is easier than it sounds. Get the manual and you'll be good to go.

Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Jack, the manual will pay for itself. You should get it!
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• merit131
              Frequent Contributor
              • Apr 2011

Reinst distb

Thanks guys, will be getting the manual...

Comment

Working...
              X