X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmeraldRose
    • May 2023

How to change alternator belt??? Simple but I'm completely new to this

Hello, I own a 1971 CAL 29 that I just got about 2 months ago. Basically a complete newbie with mechanical stuff so I am trying to learn as I go.
    Anyways I have searched the internet high and low to figure out how to change the alternator belt on this engine and finding nothing. I'm sure it's pretty obvious but go easy on me please!
    The old one is cracking so know it needs to be replaced. Any links or step by steps would be greatly appreciated.
    My alternator is a 12 volt Leece-Nevile. From my research it seems the belt part number is 239387. Only could find it on Westerbeke website and its $43. So if you also know where I can find the belt cheaper that'd be great too!
    -S/V Emerald Rose
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

First welcome the the MMI Forum.

Belts are a std item available from MMI. They can also be found at almost any auto parts store, just take in the old belt. They will measure it and probably have what you need. They are sold by length and width.

The belt is probably a 25 or 26" X 3/8".

Call Ken at MMI parts and he could cross reference the part number in case your alt has an odd pulley.

You will need to loosen two bolts, maybe 3. There is a top bolt that the alt pivots on just loosen it. There is another that attaches to the "tension" arm slot which in most cases only needs to be loosened as well as the bolt on the lower end of that arm. The alt will swing down and the belt can be removed easily. To install replace the belt and apply tension to the alt to tighten the belt and at the same time tighten the bolt in the slot to hold in place then tighten the other 2, done.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• EmeraldRose
      • May 2023

Thank you! I will try this today.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

ER - welcome...be sure to take a few pictures if you are still having trouble and post them up here...we can usually point out things that you might be overlooking.
        One step at a time...we'll help you get there!!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X