X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

What Joe said and then some. The way the alternator/regulator should work is it puts out around 14 volts regardless of RPM (the regulator regulates the voltage). There may be an exception at idle. Many alternators need a minimum RPM to function and at our engine idle speed of 600 RPM and the typical 1.75:1 pulley ratio, it's not enough. As soon as you rev up a little it works fine.

Your reported voltages are a fright. At a minimum you need a new regulator. I recommend removing the alternator (and regulator if not integral) and taking them to a proper marine alternator shop for bench testing. Following that compare the cost of repairs to outright replacement. The low voltage you're reading at idle on the dead battery is because at that low RPM the alternator can't deliver all the amperage the battery needs so it's sucking the voltage down. The high voltage you report is completely out of line and as Joe said, will cause damage to everything connected to the electrical system.
    Last edited by ndutton; 02-06-2018, 10:04 PM.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tenders
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Before you blame the alternator I'd take battery #1 off the boat for testing, and expect that it will need to be replaced. If it has a shorted cell it is not out of the question that it could act very oddly and make your alternator misbehave too.

Is it possible that a shorted, low-voltage battery has damaged the regulator by making the alternator overheat trying to pump a lot of current.

My experience with the stock A4 alternator was that it puts out relatively low voltage compared to more modern alternators. This makes it very slow to charge the batteries and it very rarely puts out anywhere near even a quarter of its rated capacity. All additional reasons to favor a voltmeter over an ammeter in that spot on the instrumentation.

Comment

• rkohl44
        • Feb 2017

update: removed battery 1 and had it tested. It was bad and has been replaced.

Unfortunately, in my naivete and enthusiasm to diagnose, I...uh...hehe...switched my battery selector around while taking the previously reported readings. Apparently, this is really bad.

So...I'll report back after I replace the alternator...

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Bet you never do that again. One of [boater's] life's lessons.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I have a Zap-Stop that has saved me from some goofs. A 15 volt zener diode across the alternator will do if you want to save some money.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X