• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brosov
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2010

No start- fuel flows to carb, not to sparks

Long story short, after dealing with some crud in the fuel, I can't seem to get the A4 to start. After a series of easy fixes, she ran, but suddenly konked out after 10-15 minutes of purring. I found that I had a clog in the fuel line coming from the tank. I blew it out (back into the tank). Afterwards, I found that I did have fuel flow from the fuel pump into the carb... but after cranking, I noticed that the sparks were dry (i.e. clog in a jet?). So I just cleaned the carb and reinstalled- still no fuel to the sparks.

Two things of concern:
    1. When I manually prime the fuel pump with the lever, it only pumps once or twice and feels "full". And a slight drip (a drop or two) of gas is coming out of the fuel filter somewhere. After a few minutes, I can prime the pump again with one pump... and that it. So does this indicate that the diaphram is leaking?

2. I checked my oil and it didn't seem to have the normal viscosity- I couldn't tell if it was tainted w/ water or gas (I smelled like gas at this point and could discern). If it is gas, does this indicate a diaphram issue with the fuel filter?

So... the no start may be a clogged carb still or maybe a fuel pump issue??? What do you think? I even replaced my sparks and nada...
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

You didnt mention changing the fuel filters. I would do this,especially
    since you said you pushed a clog back into the tank.
    I would change filters, then bleed the main passage plug in the
    carb by pumping at least a cup full of fuel thru it. Be careful not
    to drop the plug in the bilge. It is easy to do and unretrievable.
    Suggest putting a rag or paper towels under the main passage
    to catch fuel as well as save the passage plug. You might remove
    the main jet and clean it as well while you are at it

Regards

Art

PS be sure to clean up any spilled gasoline before firing up engine.

Comment

Working...
    X