X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles Taylor
    • Sep 2007

Clicking Sound

Ever since I got my boat last March, I have had an annoying clicking sound that is most noticeable at idle speed. The sound either becomes too rapid or goes away at higher revs; and, after running at cruising speed the sound won't return for a few seconds when lowered back to idle. As this is my first Atomic 4, I have no frame of reference for what should be rough or smooth idle, so I can't tell whether or not I have a broken valve spring.

I have tried MMO in the gas, the oil and squirting it into the spark plug holes.

I recently checked compression and it's 115-120 on all cylinders, so I doubt that I have a stuck valve.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Charles Taylor
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; 11-01-2007, 10:55 PM.
  • David Masury
    • Oct 2004

If you have access to the carburator side of the engine... I would pull the valve cover plate and usig a strong light I would inspect each valve spring and then I would adjust the valves to their proper gap.

Then at least you would know that aspect is okay.... You could have one valve that is sticking .... while you have the valve cover off ...take the spark plugs out and rotate the engine by hand through all cycles and watch each valve.

Re-assemble and start the engine... if the noise persists then you can seach further...

best of luck

David

Comment

• JimG
      • Mar 2005

It sure sounds like your electric fuel pump, and they do that when they're working properly. You could try a little insulation, but make sure the pump can't overheat.
      S/V Latis
      Brookings, OR
      Ranger 33

Comment

• Charles Taylor
        • Sep 2007

Thanks for the responses. I don't have an electric fuel pump. Does the mechanical pump make noise? I'm going to try to look into the valve cover next weekend. I'm awaiting gaskets and tools from Don.

Thanks,
        Charles
        Last edited by Charles Taylor; 11-02-2007, 04:26 PM.

Comment

• MikeB.330
          • Jun 2006

It could also be the normal A4 sewing maching ticking sound. Sometimes they almost sound like a noisy injector in a modern deisel engine.

See if you can find another A4 in your area that you can listen to.

Comment

• policecentral
            • Jun 2007

Tighten Manifold Nuts

Sounds silly, but I had a "clicking" noise that I chased for a couple of years. Finally a friend suggested that I check the manifold nuts and tighten. Sure enough, one nut was not snugged down, and the "clicking" was really a "chiffing" sound of leaking exhaust. Snugged down, and no more "clicking".
            Jim
            Ranger 30 Northern Light

Comment

• Charles Taylor
              • Sep 2007

Thanks for the responses. This weekend, I removed my carburator, manifold and valve cover. I checked all valve clearances, springs and looked for sticking valves.

All looked OK with the exception that whoever last worked on the engine neglected to use a manifold gasket. Luckily, I had ordered one from Don and installed it when I put everything back together.

I guess the clicking, tapping or ticking sound I hear is just a normal noise that this engine makes.

Addditionally, I installed one of Don's oil change kits. It took hours on hours of wrestling, grunting, sweating and cursing to get the drain plug out. In addition to never having been removed and being in a location that no human being can reach; whoever painted the engine painted the plug in as well.

Charles

Comment

• swokrams
                • Dec 2007

Charles, I have a post with my engine on a new thread. Check it out. It is a movie with sound. I have reard this noise too. It would be intersting to know what it is. Don has a description in his manual about a sound that is like a valve but is really the idler.

Steve

Comment

• keithems
                  • Feb 2008

i also am a new a-4 operator and mine also makes that clicking sound -- other than that seems to run well [after only a few hundred hours of my time] -- another a-4 owner nearby told me they all sound like that -- do they? and if so, what is that noise?
                  keithems
                  [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• MikeB.330
                    • Jun 2006

Solid lifters would be my guess for the cause of the sewing machine sound.

Comment

• Easy Rider
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Feb 2007

Easy Rider

The ticking sound you hear and is most noticeable when idling might be coming from the valve at the top of your anti-siphoning loop in your exhaust if your boat is equipped with one. Mine is quite noticeable as the loop is located just under the locker hatch by where I stand. It's one sound I like to hear then I know it's working. Hope you solve the mystery.
                      Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• keithems
                        • Feb 2008

so you're saying the clicking sound is normal? can you explain a little more? thx in advance!
                        keithems
                        [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• msauntry
                          • May 2008

"Slappy Valves are Happy Valves"

This was an old saying that has stuck with me. Better to have valves too loose than too tight was the reasoning. Tight valves might not fully seal and you can burn a valve as the combustion gases escape through its gaps.
                          "Lesser of two evils" kinda thing.

Comment

• David Masury
                            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by msauntry View Post
                            "Slappy Valves are Happy Valves"

This was an old saying that has stuck with me. Better to have valves too loose than too tight was the reasoning. Tight valves might not fully seal and you can burn a valve as the combustion gases escape through its gaps.
                            "Lesser of two evils" kinda thing.
                            I can vouch for this comment. Three years ago I had two burnt exhaust valves simply because the previous person who worked on the engine had the valve adjustment wrong. A little loose is a good thing.

David

Comment

• SEMIJim
                              • Oct 2007

Something in the engine space is making a relatively constant, but somewhat irregular ticking or clicking sound on our boat, too. It doesn't sound like valves, to me. Can't really tell what it is or what it sounds like. Haven't been able to identify the source.

My hearing isn't all that good, so I don't find it annoying

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X