X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swokrams
    • Dec 2007

Bilge Blower vs. PCV valve

Can one replace the crankcase vent hose (which turns down to the carburator air intake) and install a longer hose and connect it into the bilge blower (suck) duct. Fumes end up in the bilge anyway, why not just dump them into the exhaust duct and skip the middle man. This doesn't require a PCV valve kit and therefore won't interfere with carburator set up.

Steve
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Steve,

I think environmentalists would argue that re-circulating blow-by and other
    crankcase fumes back through the combustion process before discharging
    behind the boat is friendlier to our air quality.

Don

Comment

• Kurt
      • Jun 2007

The engine compartment in my C&C 33 is rather tight and I've noticed if I don't run the bilge blower while the engine is running and I then open my companionway stairs or lazarette hatch, I'll see some smoke/blow by. I don't have a PCV valve kit. So, I just run the blower all the time and don't have any issues with blow by fumes or smoke sneaking into the cabin. People hang out down there all the time when I'm motoring. So, I think simply running your blower can help reduce blow by smoke and fumes. Anybody else found that helps?

Comment

• Chip Hindes
        • Aug 2007

You're supposed to run the bilge blower whenever the motor is running.
        Chip Hindes
        '74 Newport 30' S/V "Scarlett"

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Crank case venting

I too did the hose to the blower intake, however I did it with a vented cap available at most parts houses. I installed the cap and about 4 feet of hose to get the hose inserted about two feet into the blower intake. This did help the cabin fumes (1970 Ericson 35mk2 with the original raw water cooled A-4in the middle of the cabin--28years and still chuggin away) but it did nothing for the environment or motoring down wind (fumes in the cockpit) on calm days! I also left the stock block vent at the carb just as it was. When I found out the PCV kit was available I installed it which made a vast improvement and cleaned up everything related to the crankcase. It did take some tweeking as in the instructions to get the idle working. The idle is not rock-solid as before but it has not let me down or died while in close quarters manuvering. The PCV and an electronic ignition are more than worth the investment.

D. Neptune

Comment

• High Hopes
            Afourian MVP
            • Feb 2008

What is a vented cap? . . . a vented oil cap? This wouldn't address the crankcase vent.

With respect to environmentalists can my A-4 really make a difference - an auxiliary on a SAILING vessel?

I will be routing the crankcase venty to the bilge blower duct, and maybe sealing the oil fill cap.

Steve

Comment

Working...
            X