• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msmith10
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2006

A question for you electrical guys

I was checking the resistance through my coil, and a couple of spare coils, a few days ago, and got a nice comfortable 4.4-4.6 ohms on the various coils. It then occurred to me that I should check my multimeter to see what the baseline resistance (lead tip to lead tip on low, 200 ohm, scale) was. I got about 1 ohm. I have several low-medium priced multimeters ($35-50 range) and found this was true with all of them.
    Should I subtract this from the measured result, like the tare on a scale? If so, my coil resistance is a little low and I'll need to add a resistor.
    The alternative explanation is that the lead wires on the meter do have some resistance, but it's too low for the ohmeter to measure accurately and it's just spitting out a "1".
    Mark Smith
    1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio
  • Mark Millbauer
    • Sep 2008

Yes indeed. You must subtract the base measurement from the actual measurement of the coil's resistance measurement.
    in my own observations of this over many years I have found less expensive meters to have more internal resistance and more expensive meters to have less. Either will work for our purposes, just do the math.

Mark
    Mark
    C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Try cleaning the battery contacts.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Tim
        • Jul 2005

Follow this link for some light reading on the overall resistance/impedance of your coil. Just substitute "coil" for "inductor".

Pearson 10M
        Gloucester, Va

Comment

• msmith10
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

Thanks, Tim, but I think that looks like mental self-flagellation.
          Mark Smith
          1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

Working...
          X