X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Anode on heat exchanger

On my heat exchanger the threads stripped for the pencil zinc. I tried tapping out to next size but it didn’t work out. Question can I use JB Weld put the anode in ( understanding that I need to buy a new exchanger) and it last me until March when I can see clear to buying a new one. Thanks
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Noooooooo
    You need electrical contact to the heat exchanger.
    You can make a bronze T fitting and screw it in to the heat exchanger and stick the anode there, use the epoxy to plug the old hole.
    I like to use teflon tape and check with a meter to make sure there is no resistance, but some forgo the tape to make sure there is metal-to-metal contact. In my experience the threads cut through the tape at some point.
    Another solution is to braze a wire onto the outside of the bronze T and connect it to the heat exchanger. The T actually can be anywhere in the raw water circuit if you do that.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Golfdad75
      • Sep 2014

Thanks I understand what you are saying but o just wanted to seal the brass head of the zinc in the stripped out hole. But as I was working on I saw I don’t have enough metal left on the fitting. So now my choices are to grind the rest of the fitting away and find someone to braise a new fitting on or buy a new exchanger.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

What Joe explained is not that difficult. You could easily "slobber epoxy" the anode in position after "soldering" a wire to it then solder the other end of the wire to the case of the HX. Even attaching the wire end to part of the mounting bracket with the mounting screw/bolt would work as a temporary fix if you clean the paint off for a good metal to metal contact. Just be sure there is continuity contact from the anode to the HX. Soldering can be done at much lower temps than brazing.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Golfdad75
          • Sep 2014

Thanks Dave

Comment

Working...
          X