X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Photobug
    • Jul 2015

Mechanic in San Diego

Anyone have a mechanic recommendation in San Diego for an A4?

My cables have been getting stiff. I have been caught up with family issues to get to work inspecting and fixing the issue. I had a USCG Captain onboard finally inspect it and found the cables beyond repair.

Here is his actual report:

Shift and throttle cables need replacement. Throttle linkage to carburetor broke. I put piece in pencil holder above starboard navigation station. There is a leak near the the water pump housing on the starboard aft portion of the engine.

I would like to find a local mechanic that can come and fix the boat so we can get sailing. Any recommendations in the San Diego area?

Thanks
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Photobug, new cables are not a really big deal to do. A mechanic will cost a fortune by the time he is off and on the boat a few times.

Do you have pedestal mounted controls or cockpit mounted? Cockpit mounted are easier.

Are you a single lever or throttle & shifter? The throttle and shifter is easier.

All you need are the lengths of the cables and access to some fresh attaching fasteners. Really not a bad job.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Photobug
      • Jul 2015

Thanks for the info Dave,

I share this boat with a group of partners and have done all of the work so far. A family emergency has kept me off the boat for a while and the others want to go sailing. If a mechanic costs us I only pay a small portion of it and the others can get back to sailing before I can get down there.

There is a chance I can get down there and do it myself this week but would like to have a local mechanic when I am busy and something breaks.

I have done a lot of work on bikes and have helped with some airplane rigging so figure it can't be that hard. The Transmission clutch is on the right side of the pedestal and the Throttle is on the right side.

If I do hire a mechanic it would probably be on a day I am around so we can work together to keep the cost down and get it done in a day. Plus my Mother In Law is in town and I want to take her sailing while she is here.

Comment

Working...
      X