• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Back in the boat

I went to the water again. But this time I put the engine back in!

The weather was a little better this time. Sometimes I could even take off my gloves. Pics were taken by John, my brother and psyco-boat dude.

Mr. Bun was off down the beach baiting eagles with rotten fish. What a stinker!

Photo 1 shows the block rig for lifting.

Photo 2 shows me cutting the old coupling off with a cordless sawsall.

Photo 3 shows me doing something, I can't remember what, with the shifter.

number 4 shows the engineers berth.

Last: the engine going in the Toyota for the trip.

I almost got it started in the boat, but the batteries were dead and I ran out of time.
    I'll have to go back in May to make it go for real.

Man I love working on a clean machine!

Think Spring,

Russ
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lat 64; 03-16-2009, 02:31 AM. Reason: new photo
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Very cool - thanks for the photos. Too bad the clock and batteries ran down on you.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2008

Wow, that is a lot of work you have going on there!

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Russ,
        Nice, you have old cars like me..Is that an old Corolla? I make my wife drive her '90 every day. She is starting to bug me about a new(er) vehicle. I told her I had to spend money on fixing up our 'new' boat first

The engine is looking great on the outside! Wow, you work fast!
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• tenders
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

I am quite amazed that you can do this in Fairbanks, Alaska in March dressed as you are...and that so many boats are kept in the water all winter.

Are those snow-capped mountains in the background underneath the boom cover in the first photo?

Wow.

Oh yeah, and the engine looks like a cool million too.

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

Tenders,
            I live in Fairbanks where I rebuilt the engine.(indoors)It does get cold here.
            My boat is about 600 miles south on the coast in Homer. It is a little warmer there with a maritime climate. I stuffed the motor in my old Toyota Camry and drove there last week. It was about 25 to 33 degrees above zero when I put the motor back in the boat. We kept the cook stove going and took lots of coffee breaks.
            When you think about the Farmers and folks that live and work outdoors in a place like North Dakota or Michigan It don't seem so bad living here. The drag is that the winters are just so bloody long!

Yep, those are REAL mountains. And I don't get tired of looking at them. my boat is in the lower left of the photo.
            For some more great photos here's the web site of the Homer yacht club:
            Attached Files

Comment

• warren casey
              • Aug 2005

Great job! Just about to put in my motor in, but I had to rebuild the engine stringers - hopefully next week the A4 will return to the boat. Here is a picture of the engine area rebuild.
              Attached Files

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Warren,

I have the standard fiberglass stringer in my Catalina 30. One of the issues I have is the oil pan hangs in between with about 1" of space between it & stringers. This is the perfect amount of space for everything I drop except my hand to end up.

Hopefully your design there may help avoid this problem I face. I have considered a magnet retriever (I use one all the time under the hood of the car) but it won't be much use if any parts that drop thru are stainless (screws, nuts, etc.) - if it is a really important part, I try to suck it up with a clean shop vac, and then dig it out of the canister.
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Jan 2007

Looks good to me!!!

Russ, you are deffinatly a dedicated "SOaG"! I have bitched because my boat was 13 miles away and we see the mid 40's at night in the middle of winter and sail in the 50 plus range the same day.

Looks good and don't leave something on the bench at home!!!

Oh and by the way--re your napping is not doing nothing!!! It is you driving yourself mercilessly in the art of relaxation!!!

David

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

Actually, I did leave the exhaust flange gasket on the bench. My brother made one from some super-duper gasket material from the local boat gear store

And I always love a road trip! lots of time to eat cheetos!

Russ

Comment

• warren casey
                      • Aug 2005

Hey Russ,

What kind of boat do you have? It looks like a Cal.

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

Warren,
                        It's a 1968 Columbia 36, Hull #44. It's a Wm. Crealock design with lot's or room but not much storage for liveaboards. It has a lightly built deckhouse, but it seems solid on the bottom. Its quite fast with quick handling, but you have to pay attention when at the helm. It's very fun to sail. I would want a new tiller pilot if I go very far.

The sails are new, but she's a little rough right now and will have to get cleaned up as the budget allows. But hey, she's got an new engine!
                        The photo is from last summer just before I bought her/him

Russ

P.S. I am watching for your progress on the engine bed at: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2863
                        It seems I got lucky in that department. I just used a little soap and paper towels to "rebuild" my engine mounts. My lazarette will need some mods though. Hang in there.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by lat 64; 03-19-2009, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X