• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Oil pressure initial setting

Well I'm at the point where I start putting things back together on my engine
    Anyone following my progress might recall that I found that the crankshaft was previously ground .010" undersize on the main journals. But, when I inspected the bearing inserts they were standard size. A big .012" oil clearance!
    I waited until I cleaned the block just now to remove the oil pressure regulating bolt. It was screwed all the way in tight. This must be how the last mechanic got any useful oil pressure at all. I studied any of the photos on this site that show the regulator and they show the screw out a bit(3/8"?)

My questions today are: What is a good initial setting for this screw?
    And: is there a specific length for the uncompressed spring to start with? I want to check it in case it was mashed too tight and I should get another. I have the ball type.

Spring is only four months away!!!!
    Russ
    Last edited by lat 64; 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM. Reason: ball type
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

Russ,

The extension of the oil pressure regulating valve could be anywhere from 3/8" to 1/2" past the outside edge of the locking nut.

A good approach is to remove the spark plugs and spin the engine using the starter just prior to your first start-up. You should be able to easily adjust the oil pressure to approximately 20 psi. At this setting, the pressure will settle in very close to normal when you start the engine and (more importantly) this will pre-charge the entire oil system, so when you start engine for the first time, it will appear to the engine as though it has already been run as far as the oil system is concerned.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X