X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RNC725
    • Aug 2010

Fuel shut off

does this eliminate a 'faint gasoline odor"? What are the pros and cons of shutting it down each time you run the engine or whenever you leave the boat?

Please talk to me like im a first grader -- I'm learning still........

Bobby Centers
    1967 Cal 30
    original A4
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Bobby, there is no way to eliminate all the gas in the line, even with a shut off, so a faint smell indicates a leak problem.

The shut-off ( I have two, one on the top of the tank and a more accessible one just in front of my Racor filter) will keep the fuel from the tank siphoning out, but the quart or so in the Racor and the fuel line and the fuel pump (mechanical) and the carb can still leak out...and it will smell and make it dangerous to start the engine.

A nice clean paper towel (maybe many) or t-shirt is a good way to find fuel leaks in the fuel system. Start at one end (carb?) and wipe just the fuel lines & fittings. stop when you see yellow and/or smell it on the towel. That is how I found mine in the bottom of my fuel tank a few years back. Fix the first leak and continue until you have no yellow anywhere.

We'll walk you thru it. We were all in first grade once!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Shut off

RNC, the carb float valve should shut down the fuel however after a time the fuel evaporates in the bowl and the float will drop opening the fuel line if the tank is above the carb it can siphon back in and SHOULD close the valve. If anything gets under the seat it will leak. If the tank is below the carb the fuel will want to run back to the tank.
      I have a shut off valve at the tank that I seldom if ever use except when checking the filter or replacing lines. I have another mounted to my fuel preassure gage which is mounted just before the carb. This valve I shut off when I leave the boat.
      I have seen what a gas explosion can do and tend to er' on the safe side since.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I've had the kind of siphon Dave mentioned. Next time down to the boat I could smell the gasoline fumes from the dock, it'll really get your heart pounding.

My ultimate solution was the same as Dave's. After a full carb rebuild I added a manual shutoff immediately ahead of the carb, easily accessible and closed every time I leave the boat.
        Last edited by ndutton; 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
          • Sep 2008

Bobby,
          I ALWAYS close my fuel shut off valve (which is mounted at the tank) immediately after returning to the slip. I then run the engine until the fuel is run out of the carb and lines. I am knocking on wood at this point because it is my belief this habit has prevented carb fouling and odor issues aside from the obvious safety concerns.

Mark
          Mark
          C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• gary gerber
            • May 2008

In my 35 years of sailing my Morgan 33, I have never closed off the fuel valve during the season and have never experienced a fuel smell. I suspect there is a fuel leak somewhere in your line connections or possibly a worn gasket at the carb.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

In my case it was clearly the float valve not seated properly, likely due to debris. Up until that episode I had no problems either.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• Blue Eyes
                • Jun 2010

bulb and hose pictured on Moyer opening page

I seek advice as to the use of ther above.
                thanks

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

I don't see a bulb and hose. Are you talking about the mouse on the right side?
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• domenic
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by RNC725 View Post
                    does this eliminate a 'faint gasoline odor"? What are the pros and cons of shutting it down each time you run the engine or whenever you leave the boat?

Please talk to me like im a first grader -- I'm learning still........

Bobby Centers
                    1967 Cal 30
                    original A4
                    Bobby, if your boat is old, and made of fiberglass...you might have a fiberglass fuel tank inside the boat. Check around the bottom of the tank for fuel leaks. I had this problem. I replaced the tank with a plastic tank under a seat in the cockpit. I used the same transom vent hole for the new tank. When the engine is off, you will need a shut off at the tank, or the fuel will keep running. The old tank makes a good tool locker.

Comment

Working...
                    X