X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Booth
    • Jan 2005

Second question on shift cable/mechanism

As frequent readers might remember, I installed a chinese clone of the Morse two handle throttle/shift control into my Columbia 8.7. The first time I did it, I used the included "key" to lock the inner shifter cable arm to the shift tube at the end of the shift arm. This proved to be totally inadequate to prevent the pieces from slipping on the shaft, even though I cranked down on the clamp hard. Next I drilled and tapped two holes for stainless steel screws to tie the clamp to the tube in two places, along with really tightening the clamp. So far it has not slipped. The puzzle is this:

When I first set it up, I had adjusted things so the forward detent clicked in at about the 10:00 position looking at the levers. Neutral was almost exactly 12:00 (whoo hoo!) and reverse started about 2:30. It lasted this way for one outing. Then the kids sailed to Chicago and back, and the next time I used it forward detent is a littler before 12:00, neutral is at 1:30 or so, and reverse is at 3:00 or maybe a bit earlier. I double-checked the clamp and screws and nothing has shifted position at that end. What else could it be?

Thanks again,
    Jim
Working...
X