• Show
Clear All
  • tlyons
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jul 2007

Engine runs great for 15 minutes

Hi Everyone,

Let me give you the run down.

My Atomic for will run strong for approximately 15 minutes then die suddenly. You can immediately restart it, no hesitation just push the button and it runs.

When it dies it's sudden, no coughing, no sputtering, just running great and just like you turn the switch it stops, no warning.

I like to point out it pretty much like clock work, 15 to 18 minutes in it stops running.

Here's what I've done to try and resolve it. New electric harness to the engine, New coil, installed electronic ignition kit from Moyer.

Clean fuel tank, filters look clear. There's no hesitation when the engine stops or when I try and restart it, leading me away from fuel.

I just need some tips on what would cause it to stop 15 minutes in. I'm thinking a connection is heating up, any have a similar issue?

Tom Lyons
    34 Columbia MKII
    Belleville, ON
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

I see why you're wondering about a cold connection somewhere in the primary ignition circuit (works when cold, fails when heated up). Any stones left unturned in that circuit? You've replaced the wiring, coil and points/condensor, so consider other elements in that circuit. I had a slave starter solenoid do that to us once on a power boat. Can the solenoid on the A4 fail that way too?
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• tlyons
      Frequent Contributor
      • Jul 2007

I forgot to mention i also replaced the soloniod on it as well. I have not replaced the coil wire or spark plug wires? Anyone know what set to pick up at napa? I'd get it from Don but it sometimes sits at customs for a week or more before it gets to me.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Tom,
        I found this on cncphotalbum.com which is a big C&C website, in their A4 FAQ's

I got the UAP-NAPA numbers for Atomic Four tune-up parts off the internet, but my local UAP-NAPA auto parts store says they can't use them. Why not? (PS I live in Canada.)

Canadian UAP Napa part numbers are different from the American numbers given on American news groups and Atomic Four web sites. You don't need the numbers for most parts. Just tell the counter sales representative at any good auto parts store that you want parts for a Universal (Westerbeke) Atomic Four marine engine, model UJ, and they'll look them up (or order them from Atomic Four Engine Service).

I also found some plug wire info on page 13 of this:
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Kelly
          Afourian MVP
          • Oct 2004

I too have had the engine cutting out after 15-20 minutes of use, as if someone turned off the key. But I could never restart before waiting 30-45 minutes after the incident. I'm wondering if the cold connection possibility would be probable in your case given your "instant" restart.

With your symptoms, it sounds electrical- as if a component in the ignition circuit is skipping out briefly but comes back on line immediately, allowing your easy subsequent starting. What could do this? I'm thinking you're right to change out the spark plug / distributer wires, with the distributer wire offering more chance for success. I doubt failing spark plug wire(s) could cause the engine to cut out so suddenly.

Keep us posted.
          Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• rigspelt
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
            I too have had the engine cutting out after 15-20 minutes of use, as if someone turned off the key. But I could never restart before waiting 30-45 minutes after the incident.
            Kelly, what was the problem in your case?
            1974 C&C 27

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Have you tried swapping out the coil and /or electronic module (if applicable)

Comment

• Kelly
                Afourian MVP
                • Oct 2004

I narrowed my problem down to two possibilities: either a faulty condenser or poor connection to ground. In my last efforts to make this problem go away I replaced the condenser and cleaned-up the connection to ground (cleaned contacts, replaced wire) at the same time.

The engine cut-out episodes disappeared but I can't tell you which action definitively solved the problem. Both "repairs" are very inexpensive and easy to do. They should be included in basic "engine cuts out" troubleshooting.
                Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

• Blue Eyes
                  • Jun 2010

MMI The best and the brightest

"Supercalafragalisticexpealadoshus" is the outstanding service and products provided by MMI and the wise Don Moyer.
                  aloha

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by Blue Eyes View Post
                    "Supercalafragalisticexpealadoshus" is the outstanding service and products provided by MMI and the wise Don Moyer.
                    aloha
                    "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious".

/pedant off

Comment

• thatch
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2009

"The lowest bidder wins!"

Balti,
                      BlueEyes makes his first entry and it gets graded like an English test. He only made 6 errors, by my count, so he's just about perfect in my book. Actually he was able to spell the the word with only 33 letters compared to your 34, so if I were "buying" words I would probably have given him the contract.
                      Tom
                      P.S. BlueEyes, Welcome to the madness, I guess.

Comment

• tlyons
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Jul 2007

Well I have replaced the coil wire and I still have the problem. I'll try cleaning up the ground, once that's done I'll have replaced every inch of electrical to solve this.

It ran for 24 minutes today then quit restarted immediately ran for 5 minutes restarted immediately and ran for 2 minutes.

The engine compartment was wide open lot's of air and the coolant hose where only slightly warm, lot's of water coming out the exhaust.

Also I have a mechanical fuel pump with no oil pressure safety shut off.

I'm really running out of ideas?

Comment

• rigspelt
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by tlyons View Post
                          Well I have replaced the coil wire and I still have the problem. I'll try cleaning up the ground, once that's done I'll have replaced every inch of electrical to solve this.
                          Also checked ignition switch, disbributor cap and other components in the primary ignition circuit not mentioned in your post?
                          Given it restarts immediately, is not fuel supply still a potential, such as an carb blockage? Are the fuel line filters refreshed?
                          1974 C&C 27

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

I'm thinkin' coil.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California
                            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• tlyons
                              Frequent Contributor
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by rigspelt View Post
                              Also checked ignition switch, disbributor cap and other components in the primary ignition circuit not mentioned in your post?
                              Given it restarts immediately, is not fuel supply still a potential, such as an carb blockage? Are the fuel line filters refreshed?
                              Iginition switch replaced, coil has been replaced with new oil filled. The distributor has been updated to the electronic ignition. New coil wire, new harness to engine. New panels, all that is left for electrical us the ground wire. But why does it restarted immediately and run. Granted only 5 minutes. Then run again for 2 minutes. It's reproduceable and pretty consistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X