• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gary Daniel O Connell
    Frequent Contributor
    • May 2007

Engine submerged

Recent thru/hull failure resulted in 18" of water being taken on. My A4 was covered to the top of the flywheel. I have drained the and replaced the oil, removed and cleaned carb. Removed, dried spark plug wires as well as the distributor cap, points. The engine compartment was well ventilated in breezy 80 degrees for 4 days. The engine fired and ran for about 45-60 seconds then died. Unable to restart the engine. Checked and have fuel to fuel pump, however there is no spark. the coil is very hot. My question is: is the coil "toast"or is there a short that is causing the engine to fail to start (and overheat the coil). Any input is appreciated.

gdo
  • rpn59
    • Jul 2007

A little help

Hi, can't say I have the answer you need but, a few things I went thru and found. It seems pretty common that you'll have to do more than one oil change to get all the water out, partially you can tell from the dip stick, the oil will look kind of caramel and milky. Also, when using the atomic 4 oil access under the carb, by inserting a tube, it will put you on top of the filter screen, which is ~ 1/2" to 3/4" thick. So, you'll never get all the water out, in one shot any way, it took me ~ four before the oil would run clear.

engine shut down: Pull the plugs and try and turn it over with the starter,you may have a hyra lock, water in a cylinder
    Is the starter turning?
    Is the engine turning over?
    Do you have spark at the plugs?
    Do you have spark at the distributor end of the coil wire?
    At the coil end?
    Do you have power at the small positive terminal on the coil,12v?
    Do and ohm test on the coil primary and secondary windings, very easy to do.
    Do you have points system or electronic ignition?
    If electronic, the manufacture can give you some test to do to trouble shoot the ignition module.
    Hope this helps. If you need some bimini (shade tree) advise give me a call, Ray @ 321- 432-7864.
    Ray N.

Comment

Working...
    X