X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fred1diver
    • Mar 2022

Alternator output?

Hello, I’m looking at getting an ACR installed, but it says it is rated at 65 amps, how do I know what my alternator is rated for?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Fred1diver; 04-18-2022, 10:51 PM.
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

A4s came with 35 or 50 amp alternators. Mounted in the stock location, I doubt you could get 65 amps out of a 300 amp alternator.
    Can you post a link to the ACR?
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Fred1diver
      • Mar 2022

Here’s the link

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by Fred1diver View Post
        That will work fine.
        Can you post a diagram of how you plan to wire the alternator and battery primary circuits?
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Fred, the picture you showed is just the regulator that is bolted onto the outside. Leece Neville is a popular replacement of older Motorola parts. Stock alternator as mentioned was usually 35 amps, but it is a popular opinion around here that with the belt configuration, we probably can't spin the alternator fast enough in gear to generate all 35 amps....in neutral, maybe. The original regulator would have more part numbers that could help us, but any reputable alternator shop should be able to tell you the output.
          A local electrical motor service place near me (NOT an auto boutique store like AutoZone) recognized the Motorola from the Atomic 4 colored paint on it when I set it on the counter..those are the types of guys you want rebuilding your electrical components.
          Question for the group since I don't know ACRs real well..do they regulate charge voltage into the batteries too?
          Last edited by sastanley; 04-19-2022, 03:50 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Question for the group since I don't know ACRs real well..do they regulate charge voltage into the batteries too?
            No they don't, they are simple relays. DC-DC chargers regulate the charge voltage.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Joe, Thanks for that info.

Fred,
              I took a little closer look at the numbers on the sticker.

The 8RG2010A is the part number for the 35A Motorola.
              The 105-197 is the part number for the Leece Neville regulator (the black thing in the picture.)

I have a similar regulator on my boat (M5-197) which is a Transpo part number but basically the same regulator. Some of them have adjustable outputs...the OEM Motorola regulators typically undercharged batteries, with an output of 13.8v. I have mine set to 14.2v, and I have a simple flooded lead acid house & start on my boat.
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Fred1diver
                • Mar 2022

How do you adjust that exactly?

Comment

Working...
                X