X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dana Mace
    • Jan 2008

Cooling system upgrade

I'm wondering if I should bother installing fresh water cooling on my 1976 raw water (salt water) cooled 27 foot C&C or after 30 odd yrs,just wait for the rebuild eventually to come up?

Thanks
    Dana
  • David Masury
    • Oct 2004

I think that for the sake of longevity I would go to a fresh water cooled system... I have a C&C 27 and it came from the factory with a fresh water system installed.... I never have to worry about any build up etc... My boat has always been in salt water. It also makes the winter layup easy.. you are only cleaning and putting a bit if antifreeze in the exhaust side of the engine.

I would do an acid flush etc to clean out the block as completely as possible and then add the fresh water system.. Don sells a nice one..

David

Comment

• Dana Mace
      • Jan 2008

thanks Dave
      Is ther enough room in front of the engine panel,behind the cockpit ladder for the pulley(2 inches?)

Comment

• HerbertFriedman
        • Oct 2004

cooling system upgrade

Just to reopen an old argument, I have a 72 Tartan 30 with the original raw water cooled A4. Runs super and no cooling problems. I acid flush every year and have installed a flushing Tee at the input to the water pump which I use after each use to flush with fresh water so salt water never sits in the engine. How much benefit is there to install the heat exchanger, pump, etc. for the "modern" configuration??

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Dana,

Others are free to weigh in on your question, but we at MMI hold to the notion that if you have any kind of longterm plans for your boat, the cost of freshwater cooling represents a sound investment. In a worst case scenario, even if something should happen to cause you to have your engine rebuilt, the freshwater cooling system will transfer to the rebuilt engine and continue adding to the longevity and value of your engine and boat.

With respect to the age of your engine, in people-years, your 1976 Atomic 4 is approximately the equivalent of a 45 year-old person.

Don

Comment

• Dana Mace
            • Jan 2008

thanks everyone
            Ill be ordering one from Don next week ,just have to make sure I have the room,or a way around it!

Comment

• HerbertFriedman
              • Oct 2004

cooling system upgrade

Thanks Don for the honest advice. However, seeing that I will be 67 in a month, and the engine is only 5 years older than my daughter, I will have to think this one over.

Comment

• David Masury
                • Oct 2004

Dana... the factory panel in front of the engine has a cut out in the plywood with a raised section over the opulley(s) and belt of solid wood. The thing is simple enough and it does not hit the back of the stairs.

Since your panel does not have that, and once you have installed the fresh water unit and extra pump, I would take a piece of cardboard and make a template of the enitre panel with the cutout... once that fits to your satisfaction, then you can modify the original panel.

I also recommend going onto the C&C 27 owners site http://www.cc27association.com/... they have pictures and comments on many parts of this boat.... they often refer back to Don's site for engine parts and knowledge.

David

Comment

• Chip Hindes
                  • Aug 2007

We are in the midst of a total engine rebuild on the A4 in a new to us '74 Newport 30.

Our plans are to retire to a saltier (though still technically freshwater) location in Oriental, NC in some number of years. Because of the expense of the rebuild, it was originally my plan to put off the freshwater cooling installation until then.

In the meantime, our boat will be slipped in a freshwater lake in the frozen nawth 6-7 months per year, "on the hard" the rest of the year. Would it still be your recommendation to bite the bullet and go for the freshwater cooling right now?
                  Chip Hindes
                  '74 Newport 30' S/V "Scarlett"

Comment

• Don Moyer
                    • Oct 2004

Chip,

I think you're safe to wait till you move.

Don

Comment

• Dana Mace
                      • Jan 2008

Thanks Dave
                      Ive been a carpenter for thirty yrs so I should be alright,but Id love a photo from the C&C association (I m sure I can find something)to see what it looks like. Thanks for youre help
                      I'm sure Ill be bothering you again soon!

Comment

• David Masury
                        • Oct 2004

Dana

I noticed that you are in Marblehead... I am in Kittery Point, Maine... about and hour north of you..... come visit and you can take dimensions.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X