X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TritonSailor
    • Apr 2009

Resurrection

I'm trying to bring an early model Atomic 4 back to life. I would really like to replace all the original wiring for the engines electrical system. I have some kind of metal junction with the word Motorola on it that wires from the starter are terminated to"it's that gold metal dohickey at the top of the pic". Is this some type of voltage regulator? Is this something that is replaceable or aftermarket upgrades are available for?

I'm still trying to compare what I have to how other owners are making changes, but having an early model has it's drawbacks. I did buy the electronic ignition from Indigo, but getting to the old one is proving difficult.
  • Don Moyer
    • Oct 2004

The box does appear to be a voltage regulator. If you plan to stick with
    the original alternator, I suggest you take the alternator and the regulator
    in to a local automotive alternator repair shop and have them bench-check
    the entire system for you and repair it as necessary. I recommend that you
    get a "cost not to exceed" quote from them prior to making extensive repairs,
    because it may be cost-effective to replace the rather dated alternator with
    a more modern single output alternator with a built in regulator.

Don

Comment

• keelcooler
      • Oct 2008

I'm nearing completion of the same job your contemplating ,1963 Triton. Engine done, painting out motor bay and replacing scupper hoses this week. Feel free to call should you wish to discuss changes, John 703 760 8136.

Comment

• TritonSailor
        • Apr 2009

Thanks guy's for the replies, it seems a bit overwhelming when you know that changes have been made so you can't even look at a stock install to make sense of anything.

Jeff

Comment

• bcooke
          • Mar 2005

but getting to the old one is proving difficult.
          For access to the backside of the engine in a Triton, nothing beats a nice big hatch.

If you can excuse the mess from grinding fiberglass and the bad clampage on the seacock, this photo shows what you can see of the engine through the hatch.

Last edited by bcooke; 05-02-2009, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• TritonSailor
            • Apr 2009

Thanks Britton. That's an item that 'll take a little saving for!

Comment

Working...
            X