X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkaiser77
    • Jun 2016

Orange coloration in manifold

Just took off the exhaust manifold, and one of the chambers has a distinct orange coloration. All the other chambers are black.

I'd been having problems with excessive blow by, so I'm starting an overhaul. Wondering if this orange coloration offers any clues...

• Ken Rockwell
    • May 2017

Someone used cheap sealant. Buy the stuff rated for 1200 degrees. But you have something bad that's causing it to turn to powder. Like a bad exhaust valve. And blow by is when you have bad rings or a warn piston. I doubt you would have orange powder if your pistons were worn out. You would have smoke pouring out of the valve cover.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Looks like rust to me. I think you're getting water where it doesn't belong. I suggest a manifold pressure test is in order.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• jkaiser77
        • Jun 2016

Thanks for the quick response, Ken. Maybe the blow by is caused by worn rings on a different piston?

Regarding sealant, on P1-3 of the Moyer Manual, he says "I do not put any sealer on the manifold gasket unless I have some reason to fear a water leak around the base of the studs (like after installing a threaded bushing insert). In any case, I've never seen any need to put sealer on the manifold side of the gasket"

Thoughts?

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Looks like rust to me. I think you're getting water where it doesn't belong. I suggest a manifold pressure test is in order.
          + 1 Looks like water intrusion.
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• edwardc
            Afourian MVP
            • Aug 2009

Agree, it looks like rust.
            Normally, I would have suspected water or vapor backing up from the exhaust, but that would start at #3, the closest to the exhaust, and this appears to be on #1, the farthest from the exhaust (unless you have a V-drive engine which usually connects the exhaust to the opposite end of the manifold).
            @(^.^)@ Ed
            1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
            with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
              • May 2017

I was talking about head gasket sealant. Only on the manifold if you couldn't mill it down. Maybe it is rust. I would think the rust would have some blackness on it. Sounds like you should do some kind of pressure test on the manifold. I figured water would end up in the back, unless your engine was tipped forward. Was it blowing any white, black, or blue smoke. Did you hear sizzling in the manifold after you shut off the engine? Tell us any and all symptoms, great post by the way, I hope it's not a hole in the manifold.

Comment

• jkaiser77
                • Jun 2016

Here are the symptoms, Ken, from my post last November. (Link below)

"Although the engine works, white smoke comes out the exhaust, oil pressure is low (Cruising 20psi, 5 - 10psi at idle), and smoke comes out the oil intake at higher speeds ... I did a compression check and all four cylinders are right around 100psi."

I don't remember hearing any sizzling from the manifold after shutting off the engine. To be honest, I wasn't expecting anything wrong with the manifold bc I was pretty sure my issue was the piston rings.

Maybe I have a new issue...

Comment

• jkaiser77
                  • Jun 2016

Thanks, edwardc. Correct, it's piston #1, furthest from the exhaust.

Question: You say piston 3 is closest to the exhaust. The firing order is 1-2-4-3, but the piston order is 1-2-3-4, right? That's how my pistons are lined up according to the numbers stamped on top of the pistons.

Also, the arrow stamped on top of the pistons is pointing towards the propeller, not the flywheel. That's correct, right?

Comment

• jkaiser77
                    • Jun 2016

FYI - This was the exterior of the manifold before I took it off. Note the orange coloration on the left circle, close to piston #1.

What ARE those circles btw?

Comment

• Al Schober
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jul 2009

That looks like nice fresh rust to me. Source of leak might be the manifold (pressure test) but I'd also take a look at the block near the #1 exhaust valve. This is the time of year for cracks in the block to magically 'appear'. Don't spend money fixing this until you're sure it's NOT the block.
                      Blowby = bad oil control rings: ie: the lower rings. Suspect they are badly worn and just going along for the ride. This is NOT inconsistent with good compression (upper two rings).

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by jkaiser77 View Post
                        What ARE those circles btw?
                        Those are core plugs, a necessary evil of the casting process.

edit:
                        Al's advice is spot on. Before proceeding you need to find the water source so your efforts are directed at the problem. If the head is still on the block the water jacket should be pressure tested separately and in addition to the manifold. Here's the equipment you need to perform the test:
                        Last edited by ndutton; 05-21-2017, 09:03 AM.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• jkaiser77
                          • Jun 2016

Ugh, I just took off the head. What steps should I take? Pressure test the manifold?

Given that my core plug is rusted, is there a chance that's the source of the leak?

According to Wikipedia:

"Core plugs can often be a source of leaks due to corrosion caused by cooling system water. Although modern antifreeze chemicals do not evaporate and may be considered "permanent", anti-corrosion additives gradually deplete and must be replenished. Failure to do this periodic maintenance accelerates corrosion of engine parts, and the thin metal core plugs are often the first components to start leaking."
                          Last edited by jkaiser77; 05-21-2017, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Core plug first
                            The leaking they're talking about is from the water jacket through a rusted steel core plug to the outside. It does not leak into the exhaust passage as your original picture indicated. Any Afourian worth his salt uses brass core plugs and they don't rust. Your seepage/rust at the plug appears to be around its rim rather than a plug breach, easily solved with replacement if the manifold tests successfully. No way does core plug seepage result in exhaust port water incursion.

Pressure testing
                            A pressure test of the manifold is indicated for sure. Expect a leak around the core plug but more important is a breach into the orange exhaust port. Any indication of leakage there and the manifold is done. I'm hoping the manifold is toast because the other possibility is worse, namely . . .

Since the head is off carefully inspect the block for a hairline crack in the area of the #1 exhaust valve. You could be getting cooling water into the exhaust that way too. Let's hope not.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• edwardc
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by jkaiser77 View Post
                              Thanks, edwardc. Correct, it's piston #1, furthest from the exhaust.

Question: You say piston 3 is closest to the exhaust. The firing order is 1-2-4-3, but the piston order is 1-2-3-4, right? That's how my pistons are lined up according to the numbers stamped on top of the pistons.
                              You are of course quite right. #4 is closest to the exhaust. I've got that 1-2-4-3 sequence so ingrained in my mind, it just came out without thinking about it.

My bad.
                              @(^.^)@ Ed
                              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X